Pullet is a monster when laying...

My Asian has started doing this. She screams and puffs up at us. Even the other chickens. Then starts pecking. She will stay on the nest for a couple of hours. I thought she was trying to go broody. But once she lays she is back to her sweet self then jumps down and is off clucking around. I just leave her alone till she is done but I know not everyone has the ability to do that. I hope someone has a good way to stop it. :idunno

When I had a biting broody in my in-town flock and had top-opening nestboxes I would put the flat of my hand over her head and push her head into a corner while I rummaged for eggs underneath her.

Having my hand over her head that way prevented her from striking forcefully and using my hand flat kept her from getting a grip on anything.

Yes. But she was always a little moody before. I'm just not sure why it's suddenly full-blown. She made me bleed today. :confused:
Hormones! She's getting wiser.. don't mess with hens on the nest.. seems like a simple enough rule to me.

Add roll away nest boxes that can be collected from without disturbing a laying hen maybe.. it's critical to her life she get that egg out and maybe part pf the lesson for the kids.. patience is a virtue and when she's done she'll let you know.. also a mama will fiercely protect her offspring, even the unborn! :love

If it's truly an issue and the hen is the one who need correction instead of the hen being persuaded.. then I'd re-home. Otherwise.. doing in shielded makes the most amount of sense..

To me, she may have been confused at first and has now decided that nest raiding is completely unacceptable.. Disturb them enough times.. a nest hider may be encouraged to seek peace elsewhere.

Ah yes, it's nearly impossible to keep nests bedded.. You might go with a nest mat of sorts that is one solid piece and won't scratch out. I built deeper nests. Figuring out what works for YOUR flock might be a process. :fl

If eggs are cracking from hitting the nest box, you need more padding. The bedding is more for the chickens to rearrange, but padding underneath will save your eggs.

I just fold used feed bags to snugly fit. They're free, add enough padding, easy to clean (just lift and discard if needed), and hard for chickens to dislodge.

If the eggs tend to crack when being laid with other eggs in the box then I'd collect the eggs every morning/evening to help prevent a build up of excess eggs. I'd also add more padding and bedding. I line the bottom with newspaper as mine eat their eggs, fun. :rolleyes: I add a lot of straw and that usually helps them with the padding. Between more padding and collecting the eggs often I've seen a decrease in cracked and eaten eggs

Back
Top Bottom