Pullet is a monster when laying...

I have some like that. I usually just put my hand so high above them they can't see it, then quickly place my hand on their back. Once you're touching them they seem to calm down. Then reach your hand under them. It works for me at least 🤷‍♀️

If eggs are cracking from hitting the nest box, you need more padding. The bedding is more for the chickens to rearrange, but padding underneath will save your eggs.

I just fold used feed bags to snugly fit. They're free, add enough padding, easy to clean (just lift and discard if needed), and hard for chickens to dislodge.

If eggs are cracking from hitting the nest box, you need more padding. The bedding is more for the chickens to rearrange, but padding underneath will save your eggs.

I just fold used feed bags to snugly fit. They're free, add enough padding, easy to clean (just lift and discard if needed), and hard for chickens to dislodge.
The eggs crack hitting other eggs.
The shells are nice and thick. IDK why it happens.

This almost sounds like learned behavior. If a hen strikes at you and you jerk your hand away, the hen learns that pecking works and will continue to strike, and become even more aggressive. If you can't wait till she's done, then my suggestion is to wear gloves and don't flinch. Let her peck to her heart's content. When she sees that it doesn't do any good, that you're going to ignore the pecking, she'll give it up and tolerate your hands in the nest and under her. I've used a glove on the hand that lifts her up, and a bare hand to remove the eggs from under a broody. After two or three days they just growl at me but don't peck any more. Once a hen has become quite aggressive it may be difficult to change her behavior but I do believe it can be done with persistence and patience. Good luck!

If the eggs tend to crack when being laid with other eggs in the box then I'd collect the eggs every morning/evening to help prevent a build up of excess eggs. I'd also add more padding and bedding. I line the bottom with newspaper as mine eat their eggs, fun. :rolleyes: I add a lot of straw and that usually helps them with the padding. Between more padding and collecting the eggs often I've seen a decrease in cracked and eaten eggs

If the eggs tend to crack when being laid with other eggs in the box then I'd collect the eggs every morning/evening to help prevent a build up of excess eggs. I'd also add more padding and bedding. I line the bottom with newspaper as mine eat their eggs, fun. :rolleyes: I add a lot of straw and that usually helps them with the padding. Between more padding and collecting the eggs often I've seen a decrease in cracked and eaten eggs
We almost never have more then two in there at once. And the shells are super thick. I just don't know why it happens.

Back
Top Bottom