Pullet is sneezing/ coughing & smells sweet???

KoopinItReal

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Fayetteville, GA
2 nights ago I bought 3 hens (supposedly anywhere from 3-5mos old) from a girl in a local FB group that has a good reputation. We spent about an hour there. She has around 200 chickens & all seemed healthy. Hers free-range all day. I cannot let them free-range due to predators so I have the 3 new ones in a run that I just built & to my knowledge no chickens have ever been on this part of our property before. On the way home from picking them up the other night I immediately noticed a sickeningly sweet smell. I now realize the smell is coming from the same chicken that is coughing or sneezing. I am feeding them Dumor Grower/ Finisher for now. Any idea what I may be dealing with here?

Attachments

• 3610DC5A-4947-4016-A3BE-C23BDBDBCC96.jpeg
    3610DC5A-4947-4016-A3BE-C23BDBDBCC96.jpeg
    718.5 KB · Views: 6
I’m not really sure where the smell is coming from but it is so strong I can even smell it when I first walk into their run. It seems to be coming from them & maybe also in their poop??? I got some Vetrx & decided to clean her beak. That was when I realized she has dark crusty stuff all around her nostrils. I cleaned it all off & then picked up another one & realized she has it also, as well as the smell, but she isn’t coughing or sneezing. The third one is larger than the other 2 & doesn’t have any issues. Her nostrils were clear. I put some Vetrx under their wings & dripped some in their water. I also got some Sav-a-chic probiotic. I was looking for vitamin supplements but wasn’t sure exactly what to get & they didn’t have much.

I’m not really sure where the smell is coming from but it is so strong I can even smell it when I first walk into their run. It seems to be coming from them & maybe also in their poop??? I got some Vetrx & decided to clean her beak. That was when I realized she has dark crusty stuff all around her nostrils. I cleaned it all off & then picked up another one & realized she has it also, as well as the smell, but she isn’t coughing or sneezing. The third one is larger than the other 2 & doesn’t have any issues. Her nostrils were clear. I put some Vetrx under their wings & dripped some in their water. I also got some Sav-a-chic probiotic. I was looking for vitamin supplements but wasn’t sure exactly what to get & they didn’t have much.
I’m no expert, but haven’t heard if anything like that with chickens before. Sinus issues maybe? Definitely keep giving the probiotic, and after a day or so if they don’t seem to be getting any different, try mixing some of the probiotic with a small amount of water and give it to em in a syringe. Keep me updated! Hope this helps, and let me know any more questions

I’m no expert, but haven’t heard if anything like that with chickens before. Sinus issues maybe? Definitely keep giving the probiotic, and after a day or so if they don’t seem to be getting any different, try mixing some of the probiotic with a small amount of water and give it to em in a syringe. Keep me updated! Hope this helps, and let me know any more questions
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom