Pullet keeps eye shut and the eyeball seems to be farther in the socket.

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
I bought a pullet and a hen almost 2 weeks ago and they were healthy and settling in great. About 3 days ago I noticed that the Ameraucana pullet wasn’t sleeping on the roost at night and instead slept in the nest box. I started to move her from the nest box onto the roost after it got dark because I thought that she just didn’t like the roost. I also noticed that she kept her left eye shut a lot. Fast forward to tonight and when I went out to move her onto the roost I decided to bring her inside and look her over. Well...her left eyeball is farther in he socket than her right eyeball and she doesn’t like it when I move her eyelid to get a look at it. What could have caused this? A peck from the hen? Could she have walked into something? What can I do to help her? Should I take her to a vet? She’s a pet and I’ll do anything to help her. I’ll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow as it’s too dark right now.
Please help me I’m freaking out over this and I have no idea what to do. I’ve only been keeping chickens for 3 years and this is my first time encountering something like this.

Greetings Brahma Chicken5000,

It sounds like your pullet may have, sustained an eye injury. What caused it? Most likely a peck from another chicken. But, you should check around the enclosure to make sure there aren't any wires or exposed nails, sticking out.

As for the eye, you will have to examine it tomorrow, to see how extensive the injury is. But, if you have a good vet, and don't feel comfortable taking care of it yourself, you can take the hen in for treatment. If you decide you want to treat the eye yourself, you'll need to use some Terramycin or triple antibiotic, ophthalmic ointment. Purchase at feed/farm store.

If there is dirt around the eye, clean the eye with a warm wet compress. Or, you can flush with a saline solution, then pat dry with a clean wash cloth. Apply Terramycin ointment on the lower lid of the eye. When the chicken blinks her eye, the ointment will spread over the eyeball. Apply every 12 hours, 7-10 days, or till the ointment is used up.

If the eye is cloudy, infection may have already set in. Also, you may need to treat her with an additional antibiotic, for secondary infection, if she shows symptoms of URI, or diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, or sleepiness.

If the eye has shrunk in size, as you observed, it may be severe and she may not have vision in that eye. So prepare yourself, I know it's distressing, but a chicken can still live a good life with one eye.

I always treat eye injuries, because the one time I delayed, I almost lost my rooster to infection. His eye infected and he developed a secondary upper respiratory infection. Thankfully, his eye healed and so did his URI, with care and antibiotics.

These are my thoughts on your hen's eye issue. I hope I have been helpful.

Please consider the suggestions of other members, as well.

God Bless :)

Greetings Brahma Chicken5000,

It sounds like your pullet may have, sustained an eye injury. What caused it? Most likely a peck from another chicken. But, you should check around the enclosure to make sure there aren't any wires or exposed nails, sticking out.

As for the eye, you will have to examine it tomorrow, to see how extensive the injury is. But, if you have a good vet, and don't feel comfortable taking care of it yourself, you can take the hen in for treatment. If you decide you want to treat the eye yourself, you'll need to use some Terramycin or triple antibiotic, ophthalmic ointment. Purchase at feed/farm store.

If there is dirt around the eye, clean the eye with a warm wet compress. Or, you can flush with a saline solution, then pat dry with a clean wash cloth. Apply Terramycin ointment on the lower lid of the eye. When the chicken blinks her eye, the ointment will spread over the eyeball. Apply every 12 hours, 7-10 days, or till the ointment is used up.

If the eye is cloudy, infection may have already set in. Also, you may need to treat her with an additional antibiotic, for secondary infection, if she shows symptoms of URI, or diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, or sleepiness.

If the eye has shrunk in size, as you observed, it may be severe and she may not have vision in that eye. So prepare yourself, I know it's distressing, but a chicken can still live a good life with one eye.

I always treat eye injuries, because the one time I delayed, I almost lost my rooster to infection. His eye infected and he developed a secondary upper respiratory infection. Thankfully, his eye healed and so did his URI, with care and antibiotics.

These are my thoughts on your hen's eye issue. I hope I have been helpful.

Please consider the suggestions of other members, as well.

I will try to treat it myself. I’ll go to the feed store this morning and pick up all of the supplies. She does seem a bit lethargic and has a bit of a loss of appetite. Thank you so much for your help.

I just applied the Terramycin to her eye. Thank you so much you’re a God sent! :hugs I also purchased some Nutridrench which I’m going to administer orally as well.

If you don't see some improvement in a couple of days, you can switch to the triple antibiotic ointment. I only had to do this in one case. You can order it online at a pet supply, like Valley Vet, etc., but it will require a vet's authorization, in California!:he

Thankfully my vet is local, and he has no problem prescribing the meds I need for my flock, or I can just buy them from him.

Hang in there. :thumbsup

If you don't see some improvement in a couple of days, you can switch to the triple antibiotic ointment. I only had to do this in one case. You can order it online at a pet supply, like Valley Vet, etc., but it will require a vet's authorization, in California!:he

Thankfully my vet is local, and he has no problem prescribing the meds I need for my flock, or I can just buy them from him.

Hang in there. :thumbsup
I bought Vet RX too. When you say triple antibiotic ointment do you mean like the picture below?
image.jpg

There are differences in Generic Neosporin or (Triple Antibiotic), and, an opthalimic ointment.

• The polymixyn B sulfate is only 5,000 units in Neosporin, but is 10,000 units in the opthalimic ointment.

• Neomycin and the bacitracin zinc is the same.

• The opthalmic ointment has a white petrolatum and mineral oil base.

• The Neosporin first aid antibiotic base is: cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil, sodium pyruvate, tocopheryl acetate (synthetic vitamin E), white petrolatum

But, I have read posts of people that have used Neosporin or the generic, on their animals.

I don't think I would want all those moisturizers in my eye. The synthetic vitamin E itself, is known to increase bleeding. But, everyone has to make there own decision. Sometimes you can't find certain medicines, especially with the new laws here in California.

Here is what I use, both are good.
eye ointments.jpg

Hopefully the Terramycin will do just fine.

There are differences in Generic Neosporin or (Triple Antibiotic), and, an opthalimic ointment.

• The polymixyn B sulfate is only 5,000 units in Neosporin, but is 10,000 units in the opthalimic ointment.

• Neomycin and the bacitracin zinc is the same.

• The opthalmic ointment has a white petrolatum and mineral oil base.

• The Neosporin first aid antibiotic base is: cocoa butter, cottonseed oil, olive oil, sodium pyruvate, tocopheryl acetate (synthetic vitamin E), white petrolatum

But, I have read posts of people that have used Neosporin or the generic, on their animals.

I don't think I would want all those moisturizers in my eye. The synthetic vitamin E itself, is known to increase bleeding. But, everyone has to make there own decision. Sometimes you can't find certain medicines, especially with the new laws here in California.

Here is what I use, both are good.
View attachment 1304111
Hopefully the Terramycin will do just fine.

Thank you so much for the information I’ll be looking for the brand you recommended. I too hope that the Terramycin will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom