Pullet laying shell-less eggs from roost

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hello!
One of my GSL pullets (around 8 months old), has suddenly stopped laying. Or at least, not laying normally. Her last normal egg was laid around a week ago, and in the past two days I have found the remnants of shell-less eggs underneath her roost. She used to be my best layer, and would often lay double yolkers as well (though that seemed to have slowed down prior to this). I was actually concerned that maybe the number of eggs she laid and their size could cause some reproductive problem. So far, I don't see any behavioral changes, though I am keeping a close eye on her.

Around 5 days ago, we had to lock the chickens into the coop because they were going across the street to our neighbor (we are in the process of building a fence that should be operational in 1-2 weeks). I'm assuming stress may have had some effect here, though the other chickens are all laying normally. I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell free-choice on the side.

I appreciate some advice, thanks!

She's a bit young for this, but she may be about to take a break in her laying cycle.
Why all of a sudden? Should I just let her be, or should I try to treat? (I actually don't know with what, extra calcium via Tums, Sav-a-chick...)

I really hope she isn't getting sick with something.

@sourland,
She is worse now. Yesterday and the day before that, she paid visits to the nest box but with no results. Also, on the same days, I found her straining but not in the nest box. Yesterday I pulled out of her what I think is a lash egg? The length of the entire object is slightly longer than my index finger. It seems to be not as large (or at least not as thick) as the lash egg pictures I see online. Here is an image:
IMG_6165.JPG

Her activity has noticeably decreased as well; she is not her usual self. Still eating and drinking though, which is good.

Could this be an infection that started affecting her shell-gland (thus causing the shell-less eggs), then moved up her oviduct and now displaying itself as more acute salpingitis? Just throwing out ideas, don't know if that's actually possible or the case.

But, should it be an infection, I do have Amoxicillin on hand. Would this be okay to treat with (15 mg per day?). I'm worried I'm going to lose her soon if I don't do something.

@casportpony, @Wyorp Rock, what do you think? Please help.
Thanks.

But, should it be an infection, I do have Amoxicillin on hand. Would this be okay to treat with (15 mg per day?). I'm worried I'm going to lose her soon if I don't do something.
Looks like it could be an infection. Amoxicillin might help, but 15 mg per day is not enough. Turkeys should get 57 mg per pound of bodyweight twice a day. Is a vet an option? I think something like Baytril will work better.

Sorry, my previous post said turkey. Not sure why I thought she was a turkey. Anyway, doesn't matter, all poultry get amoxicillin at 57 mg per pound twice a day. The problem with amoxicillin is that it does not treat the most common repro-tract bacterial infections.

If it was just a normal looking membrane I wouldn't be to concerned, but the one looks pink, like it has some blood on it, and the one yellow end looks like it might have some pus.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Sorry, my previous post said turkey. Not sure why I thought she was a turkey. Anyway, doesn't matter, all poultry get amoxicillin at 57 mg per pound twice a day. The problem with amoxicillin is that it does not treat the most common repro-tract bacterial infections.

If it was just a normal looking membrane I wouldn't be to concerned, but the one looks pink, like it has some blood on it, and the one yellow end looks like it might have some pus.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.
She is 4.5 pounds, so I went ahead and gave her 250 mg of Amoxicillin. (Or at least tried too). Also, a vet is not an option, sorry. I might switch to Baytril, thanks! The amoxicillin hopefully will help a little bit in the meantime. She did not strain today, which I think is a good sign?

I can't seem to find Baytril available anywhere without a vet's prescription. So it looks like I will just have to continue with the Amoxicillin, unless someone can recommend a better antibiotic that doesn't require a prescription.

Based on a 57 mg per pound dosing, my 4.5 pound pullet should be getting 256 mg per day. But the capsules are 500 mg. Amoxicillin doesn't dissolve very well in water, so I'm having a hard time getting it into her that way. I tried using half a capsule with the right amount of powder, and that worked, but there is spillage. Any recommendations on how I can administer it better? Can I giver her the full 500 mg capsule just once a day?

Also, since starting the antibiotic, I have not seen any evidence of straining, lash eggs or other yucky things. Her activity seems to have increased as well. Unfortunately, I will be leaving on a 2 day vacation Wednesday morning (coming back Friday evening). Hopefully the missed days won't affect her too much.

And thank you for all your advice and for responding to my tag @casportpony. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom