Pullet laying soft shelled eggs

Henfla

Songster
Apr 29, 2022
Tromsø, Norway
Hi!
One of my pullets layed her first egg 24th of september and it was soft shelled. She is the only one that lays white eggs, and today I found the shell of another soft shelled egg when I was cleaning under the roost. I haven't found white eggs in between these two times, and it's 2,5 weeks since the first egg. They do free range a few hours every day, so it is possible that she has layed somewhere outside. But I feel a bit worried about this. What should I do?
They don't get layer feed, but they get a premium feed with a little less calcium than the layer feed (because they are not laying breeds and I have read that layer feed can contain too much calcium when they are not laying breeds) and they also have free access to oyster shell. The other chickens lay eggs with very strong shell and my bantam cochin lays eggs with calcium deposits on every day, so maybe it's not a good idea for her to get layer feed with that extra calcium.

Sorry if my english is bad today. I had a migraine attack so my brain is a bit foggy and therefore it's a bit hard to concentrate about writing on my second language.

They don't get layer feed, but they get a premium feed with a little less calcium than the layer feed (because they are not laying breeds and I have read that layer feed can contain too much calcium when they are not laying breeds)
What breeds are not layers?
What is the calcium percentage in the feed that you are using?
Are they eating the oyster shell?

What breeds are not layers?
What is the calcium percentage in the feed that you are using?
Are they eating the oyster shell?
I don't know if you call it laying breeds in english, but here in Norway they say that some breeds are bred to be layers, like Lohman, and some are bred for meat and some are a combination. I have mix breeds with wyandotte, sultan, cream legbar etc. I also have one bantam cochin.
The calcium percentage is 1,87. They eat alot of the oyster shells and as I said the other ones lay eggs with hard shells and the bantam cochin even have calcium deposits on her eggs.

I was thinking about maybe give her crushed calcium tablets for a few days and see what happens. What do you think?

I don't know if you call it laying breeds in english, but here in Norway they say that some breeds are bred to be layers, like Lohman, and some are bred for meat and some are a combination. I have mix breeds with wyandotte, sultan, cream legbar etc.
Good explanation.
About the same here, high production breeds, 'regular' layers, and meat birds.

here in Norway
You can add your location into your account profile so it's shows under you avatar.

Back
Top Bottom