Pullet laying under roosting bars

AlliJackson

Chirping
May 4, 2021
Chattanooga, TN
I need some help. I've got 4 pullets (approximately 5 months old) and 1 hen that is 2 years old. The pullets recently started laying. All but 1 pullet use the nesting boxes, but I've got 1 stubborn one lays under the roosting bars. I have a total of 8 nesting boxes that are large enough and are kept clean. I've put wooden eggs in the nesting box and even tried to block off the area under the roosting bars. She will still lay under the bars. She will climb on top of the items I've put under the bars and lay to the point of all the eggs cracking due to rolling off an item blocking the bars or hitting the floor. She refuses to lay anywhere other than under the bars, and all of her eggs are cracked. I put more padding on the floors and she will clean it out so the egg hits the hard floor and cracks. What else can I do??

I need some help. I've got 4 pullets (approximately 5 months old) and 1 hen that is 2 years old. The pullets recently started laying. All but 1 pullet use the nesting boxes, but I've got 1 stubborn one lays under the roosting bars. I have a total of 8 nesting boxes that are large enough and are kept clean. I've put wooden eggs in the nesting box and even tried to block off the area under the roosting bars. She will still lay under the bars. She will climb on top of the items I've put under the bars and lay to the point of all the eggs cracking due to rolling off an item blocking the bars or hitting the floor. She refuses to lay anywhere other than under the bars, and all of her eggs are cracked. I put more padding on the floors and she will clean it out so the egg hits the hard floor and cracks. What else can I do??
Can you please post pictures of the interior of your coop, the nest boxes and the area she is laying? For 5 birds you only really need 2 boxes.
Where does this bird rank in the flock?

No idea if it would work, but do you have room to place a single nest box with a couple of fake eggs on the floor by the other boxes? It doesn't need to be fancy, even a plastic tub or crate on its side. If she uses it, then try gradually raising it up to the height of the other boxes.
If she doesn't go for it, maybe put a covered area under the roosting bar so at least her nest won't be in the poop🤷‍♀️
Chickens, so lovable and so frustrating at times.
Thank you! I may try that. I moved all the items I had under there blocking her when she was stubborn and still laid there, even though the eggs would legit roll off an upside down shovel and crack 🤦. I just moved everything and put more pine shavings down there and accepted that she will just be stubborn and lay there.

Do you know exactly which bird it is?

Now this isn't practical if you don't have time to stalk them, but what I did was I learned the problem bird(s) laying schedules, and when they went to their preferred spot to lay, I'd go and pick them up, stick them in a nest box, and barricade them in using my arms to cover the exit. 30-60 seconds was all they needed to calm down and start exploring the box and decide that maybe it wasn't such a bad place to be. They each started reliably using the boxes after that.

Alternatively, some folks design "doors" on their nest boxes so birds can be locked in, which basically does the same as above, but forces the bird to stay in the nest box (whereas once I see them exploring and sitting down in the nest, I leave them to it and walk away).

Couple things I see that may be of concern.....
Might be good to put higher fronts(4-6") on the nests to keep bedding and eggs from falling out.... and a perch about 8" away from front of nests for easier access.

Nothing to do with laying, but......
Roosts are lower than nests and are either rather small in diameter and the squarish ones have an edge where feet rest.

Have you thought about lowering the nest boxes? Maybe sit them on the floor back side down then you would only need to use four of them. Or four on the floor and leave four on the wall see what the hens prefer. This one particular hen has obviously decided she doesn't want to jump that high to lay. They seem on the high side and you definitely need something like a two to 3 inch board going across the front to keep eggs and nesting material in if keeping it this way.

Can you please post pictures of the interior of your coop, the nest boxes and the area she is laying? For 5 birds you only really need 2 boxes.
Where does this bird

Attachments

• 20210814_085120.jpg
    20210814_085120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20210814_085055.jpg
    20210814_085055.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210814_084853.jpg
    20210814_084853.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210814_084839.jpg