Pullet lethargic and passing solid grassy poop?

30h1ppu5

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hi friends,

I have a 12 week old EE pullet who became lethargic yesterday and continued the lethargy today as well as seeming very uncoordinated. She has been eating and drinking periodically on her own but she has lost all of her weight. She is pooping very thin, watery, white poop.
I’ve isolated her from the other birds and have given her (at various times yesterday and today) some nutri-drench and a bit of canola oil.
She is on a non-medicated chick feed still, but does occasionally go eat “the big girls” food.
When checking on her today I noticed a very large piece of manure hanging from her vent. It was almost entirely undigested grass. I carefully cut the dangling piece so it wouldn’t pull on her vent. A photo of the piece that was hanging out is attached (it was more “turd shaped” but I smooshed it up a bit).
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I just noticed that she was preening her feathers and foraging around a little bit so hopefully she was just constipated by the grassy blockage?
Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• FBC25452-A6CB-4747-B078-1478A31BB6E9.jpeg
    FBC25452-A6CB-4747-B078-1478A31BB6E9.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 17
  • AEEBB518-CFD4-451E-BF06-659CAAF7E2F3.jpeg
    AEEBB518-CFD4-451E-BF06-659CAAF7E2F3.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 4
Does she have access to grit?
She has free access to grit…but I hardly ever see her picking at it. Opposed to my big girls who stop by every morning and choose a few bits and pieces each day. Is there a way to encourage her to eat more grit?

She has free access to grit…but I hardly ever see her picking at it. Opposed to my big girls who stop by every morning and choose a few bits and pieces each day. Is there a way to encourage her to eat more grit?
Not that I know of, my understanding is they will eat what they need. I'm sorry I'm no help!

Not that I know of, my understanding is they will eat what they need. I'm sorry I'm no help!
Nonsense! Your input is valued and my first thought was that she obviously needs more grit as well! But I have great news! The molasses and oil seemed to do the trick and she is much less lethargic today, eating her food, and drinking! Fingers crossed she will be ok!

Nonsense! Your input is valued and my first thought was that she obviously needs more grit as well! But I have great news! The molasses and oil seemed to do the trick and she is much less lethargic today, eating her food, and drinking! Fingers crossed she will be ok!
Thank you!😊 that's great! It's always hard when we have a sick wee one!

Resolution: After she passed the large grassy manure, I continued to provide her with a few drops of nutri-drench by syringe (very small drops being careful to let her swallow and not aspirate) every 4 or so hours as well as a single dose of canola oil by syringe (est. 1/2-1 teaspoon of oil). As of just now she is eating, drinking, and frolicking with her sisters. She still seems a tad worn out, but I’m hoping this gets better as she is able to eat more efficiently.
Also happy to report that she is pooping normally again (no diarrhea or grassy chunks). My best guess is that a lack of grit led her to become impacted. To hopefully prevent this in the future, I will toss a handful of grit into the run each morning as well as their bowl of grit. She seems happier to eat the grit when it’s a “moving target” so to speak!
Hopefully this will come in handy to someone in the future, please let me know if you have any questions!!

Back
Top Bottom