Pullet making weezing noises...

grasjm36

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Hagerman, ID
She seems happy, active, eating tomatoes out of my garden...

But she's breathing heavy and its making a rough sort of weezing noise. Like when my fiance snores at night. I inspected her nostrils up close and they don't look plugged. I've dealt with that before. I looked down her throat and its normal pink looking.

Should I be worried?

I don't have personal experience with respiratory problems, but since there are only a couple of things that present with respiratory symptoms that are not "diseases," i would quarantine her immediately and look for signs in the rest of the flock. The only possibilities i know of that have respiratory symptoms that are not lifelong carrier diseases, are gape worm and fowl pox, both of which are fully treatable and do not result in birds that carry the disease to others for their lifetime.

I'm hoping someone with more experience here will chime in on respiratory possibilities.

I would be worried, for I had a 2 year old hen who started off sneezing and wheezing, and now she just passed away for it got into her air sacs. I am not sure what she got. But I tried everything to help her get better. And when she first started sneezing I heard a couple of my other chickens sneezing so I put an antibiotic into their drinking water and the other ones got better but she got worse, I don't know why. Maybe she was sneezing days before I noticed, but I usually check on my flock numerous times a day. I hope everything goes good with your chicken. But hopefully someone with alot more experience then me will help you for this is the first time I had to deal with a respiratory problem with my flock. But if I where you I would try some antibotic in the drinking water. And just keep trying to ask all people you can think of who deals with chickens, such as vets, people on this website, even I found that some of the people at my local feed store helpful because they have raised chickens themselves. Good luck.

I found the avian society more helpful than Vets etc. They just told me to neck my bird - I got lots of help and advice now my girl is running about but she is also sneezing????
I am hoping it is just a cold and she will get better. Its hard to buy antibiotics here over the counter. I wish you all the best - hope your girl survives ok. I would seperate her and keep her warm.

Oesdog

Back
Top Bottom