Pullet or cockerel EE?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I have two EE's and five chickens total. All around 11 weeks old. I'm wondering if my grey and brown Easter Egger, Hattie, might be a cockerel. Starting with behavior, Hattie was a very friendly and curious chick. For a while now though she's/he's been one of the least friendly. Not in a skittish way. More of a "I wanna make it hard for you to handle me and I just wanna do my own thing" type of way lol. Hattie is also the only one who tries to kick our hands when we pick her/him up. All the others are plump, round, and fluffy. Their tail feathers are quite tame and usually pointed straight out. Hattie on the other hand is slimmer, smaller, and has tail feathers that are more unruly and curved upwards most of the time. The only thing is, she/he doesn't have much of a comb at all. Neither of my EE's do. So that makes it a little more difficult to figure out what gender Hattie is. I'll add some pictures of Hattie so ya'll can get a good look. I also included some pictures of my black EE, Franny, for comparison and a picture of Hattie next to one of my Orpingtons to show the body shape difference. Let me know if these pictures aren't good enough or if I need to take pictures at different angles. They were all very curious about my phone and didn't make it easy to get good pictures lol. Hattie's tail is also usually curved upwards more than it is in these.
1659654270481.png
1659654304781.png
1659654352532.png
1659654426852.png
1659654501724.png

They are both pullets :) You would see a bigger and redder comb on an easter egger cockerel at this age. Behaviour isn't the most reliable method of telling gender, sounds like Hattie just doesn't like being handled too much.

They are both pullets :) You would see a bigger and redder comb on an easter egger cockerel at this age. Behaviour isn't the most reliable method of telling gender, sounds like Hattie just doesn't like being handled too much.
Oh ok thank you! That's helpful. What about Hattie's saddle and tail feathers? I thought it was odd that they were different from all the others

I also have an Easter Egger but mine is a cockerel. You can see his saddle feathers are much longer and pointier than Hattie's, and they fall down his sides like a waterfall. Cockerels don't develop sickle feathers on their tails until later, generally around 4 to 6 months old. Mine hasn't even started getting sickles yet. Sorry for the poor picture quality 🤣 he doesn't like my phone being near him.

Attachments

• saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom