Pullet or cockerel

Farmgirl0422

Chirping
Apr 18, 2015
Central Oregon
Hello! I have a 3 month - 1 week old deleware. I am looking for opinions on whether he/she was a pullet or a cockerel. I'm noticing more prominent feathers around the neck area and she/he has always seemed tall for his/her age although I've never had another Delaware to compare to. Here are the current pics. Like I said, she/he is exactly 3 months/1week old today.

Thank you.

Thanks for the replies...I think..
barnie.gif
To help me learn what to look for, can you tell me what's obviously cockerel to you in the pictures?
Thanks!

Looks more like a Light Sussex than a Delaware with the pink legs and solid black through the tail (no barring). At this point, it's the comb that points to male. Pullets don't start pinking up in the comb until they are just a few weeks from laying eggs. That usually happens sometime after 4 or 5 months old for most breeds. At about 10 weeks old, male specific feathering is just beginning to develop. It can take several weeks for the male saddle and hackle feathers to be clearly visible. They are the long, thin, shiny feathers that only males have.

Thank you junebuggena :) she/he very well could be a light sussex. It was a hatch from some fertilized eggs we got from a neighbor. I did notice that the saddle/hackle feathers looking more long and pointy than they probably should. The comb threw me off though because our Black Australorps all had fairly prominent red colored combs pretty young but I don't remember how young. Thank you for the information!

Looks more like a Light Sussex than a Delaware with the pink legs and solid black through the tail (no barring). At this point, it's the comb that points to male. Pullets don't start pinking up in the comb until they are just a few weeks from laying eggs. That usually happens sometime after 4 or 5 months old for most breeds. At about 10 weeks old, male specific feathering is just beginning to develop. It can take several weeks for the male saddle and hackle feathers to be clearly visible. They are the long, thin, shiny feathers that only males have.

You know what, I missed that. With the leg color, that is a Sussex. Just as well, they're both beautiful breeds.

As for your question, Farmgirl, there are a few different techniques to sexing, and a couple of characteristics to look out for. These include stance, feet, voice, comb/wattle, personality, and feathers.

Cockerels will often stand tall, stretched up, and hold their tails in the air, rather than the horizontal stance of pullets.
Cockerels often have significantly larger feet than pullets.
Cockerels will have a raspier, deeper voice than pullets.
Cockerels will have a large, red comb and wattle, and it will grow faster and darker than pullets.
Cockerels will often be more bold and unafraid than pullets.
Cockerels will, starting around 12-14 weeks, begin to grow sharp, long saddle feathers, very distinctive from those of pullets.

It's the comb. At only 3 months, a pullet isn't going to have that much comb or red color. Her comb will still be fleshy colored and small. Plus all the other reasons the others listed.

Back
Top Bottom