Pullet or Cockerel?

Sneaky Chicken

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
The Garden State
This is Betty. Shes a 3 month old (ish) New Hampshire Red and Im starting to question whether or not shes a pullet due to her tail feathers. Shes not mean and shes much smaller than her sister, Martha.. her comb and wattles are light pink. Can anyone confirm that she is, in fact, a pullet, and not a roo?

Thank God! I cant have roosters, due to the attention they draw. Ive already had to give up 4 chickens because of it and Im not ready to let another go!

Thanks for your help!

That's a pullet. She's just going through one of the many molts juvenile birds go through. If you notice, she's lost all her tail feathers, but those two or three curved ones. They are curved because they, too, are on the verge of falling out.

A few weeks older and I am looking for a a second opinion on "Buddy". Is got a totally different personality from the 2 cockerel from the same brood. The other 2 are now developing sharp pointed cape feathers and this one is not. Buddy would be 8-9 weeks now.

A few weeks older and I am looking for a a second opinion on "Buddy". Is got a totally different personality from the 2 cockerel from the same brood. The other 2 are now developing sharp pointed cape feathers and this one is not. Buddy would be 8-9 weeks now.

Is Buddy a Barred Rock? If so, I'd say pullet.

I originally got it as an Easter egger,but he always looked different from the other three. I recently got 5 barred rock chicks from the same person and they look like buddy did as a chick. It certainly has a lot of barred rock traits from what I've read. I always thought roo until the others are starting to crow and are growing hackle feathers

I made my statement on the coat color, but it does appear to be a cockerel as Junebugga said. Sometimes, they crow later than the others.

Back
Top Bottom