Pullet or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sneaky Chicken, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    This is Betty. Shes a 3 month old (ish) New Hampshire Red and Im starting to question whether or not shes a pullet due to her tail feathers. Shes not mean and shes much smaller than her sister, Martha.. her comb and wattles are light pink. Can anyone confirm that she is, in fact, a pullet, and not a roo?[​IMG]

2. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Pullet!
    -Liv

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is a pullet.

4. Sneaky Chicken

Sneaky Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2016
    The Garden State
    Thank God! I cant have roosters, due to the attention they draw. Ive already had to give up 4 chickens because of it and Im not ready to let another go!

Thanks for your help!

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's a pullet. She's just going through one of the many molts juvenile birds go through. If you notice, she's lost all her tail feathers, but those two or three curved ones. They are curved because they, too, are on the verge of falling out.

6. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    A few weeks older and I am looking for a a second opinion on "Buddy". Is got a totally different personality from the 2 cockerel from the same brood. The other 2 are now developing sharp pointed cape feathers and this one is not. Buddy would be 8-9 weeks now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Is Buddy a Barred Rock? If so, I'd say pullet.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's a cockerel.

9. OSDad

OSDad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Nova Scotia, CANADA
    I originally got it as an Easter egger,but he always looked different from the other three. I recently got 5 barred rock chicks from the same person and they look like buddy did as a chick. It certainly has a lot of barred rock traits from what I've read. I always thought roo until the others are starting to crow and are growing hackle feathers

10. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I made my statement on the coat color, but it does appear to be a cockerel as Junebugga said. Sometimes, they crow later than the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by