Pullet or Cockerel

kada6305

Songster
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Kersey, Pennsylvania
Lucky s 4 weeks. he is a mix. Speckled Sussex rooster over a Red Sexlink Hen. I was thinking cockerel, but his comb isn't that big? he is feathering in slow like our cockerel did.

Here are his 3 week pictures:

It's really too early to tell at this age, but from your pictures (excellent pics, by the way!) I would say you have a ROO.

That's what I was afraid of. Darn. We don't have any room for anymore roosters. Only time will tell though, sure i'll be able to tell in another 4 weeks or so. Thank you :)

That's what I was afraid of. Darn. We don't have any room for anymore roosters. Only time will tell though, sure i'll be able to tell in another 4 weeks or so. Thank you :)
I'm just curious by your post ... "we don't have any room for anymore roosters." How many hens do you have and how many roosters do you have?

as of right now we have 1 rooster and 6 hens. They free range. Don't think our girls could take another rooster.
You are absolutely correct! You should only have 1 roo to every 10 or so hens.
rant.gif
I hate it when I see some flock owners that have say 12 hens and 3 roos....yikes! Those poor hens!

You are absolutely correct! You should only have 1 roo to every 10 or so hens.
rant.gif
I hate it when I see some flock owners that have say 12 hens and 3 roos....yikes! Those poor hens!

yikes!! That is a scary thought!! We will be having a second rooster soon. BUT we are also adding hens. The rosoter and hens will be our silkie flock. Not sure if we are going to let both flocks free range together or not. We have 5 acres so plenty of room for them to get away from eachother, but you never know

Back
Top Bottom