Pullet or Roo??? I need advice...mixed flock

HoneyBeeMel

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Tampa, FL
Probably in the same boat as so many others, chickens allowed in our parts, but no roos. I love each of them...and we knew this day might come...but I'd like to find any roos good homes if they are (in fact) roosters. My flock of 6 ranges from about 12-15 weeks old (not sure where each one lies on that spectrum though). So keep that in mind....thank you!

This is Ruby (a RIR I think)...pretty much feathered out...still growing though.

Another of Ruby.

Henrietta (another RIR...)

Another shot of Henrietta.

Sandy (a Cochin I believe)...

Ginger (a RIR also??? maybe??)

Chica....(again, I think she's a RIR)

Stormy (an Austalorp...i think)

I think everyone looks female. The only one that tweaks my boy radar is Henrietta, but I'd expect her to be a lot more developed at even 12 weeks.

Your red birds look like hatchery red layers--production reds, etc. Your pretty buff and black feather legged bird is a buff brahma. Your long necked grey bird isn't an Australorp, I don't know what she is. Looking again, her head and eye look similar to your red birds, so they may all be mixed. Where did you get them?

Wow - you are right on about Sandy...I looked up the Buff Brahma...100% the same bird. Thanks for that!

Henrietta makes us a little nervous too...mostly because of her darker tail feathers.

Not sure about Stormy...I feel like we were told Australorp...maybe a blue or silver one???

They could very well be mixed. We "saved" them from a local hatchery that doesn't exactly know what they are doing. They are all in good health, but we don't know exactly the breed or gender. The breed matters less...healthy females are the goal though!

I agree! They all look like pullets to me -(with Henrietta being a bit of a maybe). I think Stormy is a Blue Andalusian -- maybe? Looks like it to me at least! Where did you get them?

Sorry I'm not going to be of much help but I just wanted to say the first photo of Henrietta is GREAT photograph! Also, do you by any chance have any photos of Sandy as a little chick? I have one mystery chick that I have narrowed down to 4 possible breeds and Buff Brahma is one of them.

@GreyhoundGrrrl - here is a pic of Sandy when we first brought her home (she's prob between 2-3 weeks old in this) - she basically looks identical to how she does now, just smaller (2nd from right).

I agree! They all look like pullets to me -(with Henrietta being a bit of a maybe). I think Stormy is a Blue Andalusian -- maybe? Looks like it to me at least! Where did you get them?

Could be....here's another pic of Stormy from exactly 4 weeks ago....

@GreyhoundGrrrl - here is a pic of Sandy when we first brought her home (she's prob between 2-3 weeks old in this) - she basically looks identical to how she does now, just smaller (2nd from right).

Thanks! That helps. Still not sure about my chick but the coloring does look very close. Appreciate the photo!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom