Pullet or roo?? Plz have a look

Eggbert420 - I say- a laugh for anyone dumb enough to do mouth to vent blowing on their chicken. :lau I said to blow "at" the vent, not "in" it. If you live in a windy state, you could try turning the chicken's rear into the wind and you'll get the same display.

Again, TheKindaFarmGal - I'm VERY sure that anyone who reads my suggestion will not harm their bird by looking at its butt. Most of us often check back there for mites, feather loss, dried poop/matted fetahers - and just comb through our rooster's beautiful tails while holding them. I've even seen judges at shows brush back feathers to inspect the bird's vent.
So- :confused:
:hmm - please don't overreact. Its okay. BYC is full of different opinions and my contribution was a donation of my precious time to Lauren.

Eggbert420 - I say- a laugh for anyone dumb enough to do mouth to vent blowing on their chicken. :lau I said to blow "at" the vent, not "in" it. If you live in a windy state, you could try turning the chicken's rear into the wind and you'll get the same display.

Again, TheKindaFarmGal - I'm VERY sure that anyone who reads my suggestion will not harm their bird by looking at its butt. Most of us often check back there for mites, feather loss, dried poop/matted fetahers - and just comb through our rooster's beautiful tails while holding them. I've even seen judges at shows brush back feathers to inspect the bird's vent.
So- :confused:
:hmm - please don't overreact. Its okay. BYC is full of different opinions and my contribution was a donation of my precious time to Lauren.

That is totally different than inverting the vent to check gender. Only experienced people that really know what they are doing should do that. I just don't want somebody who doesn't know any better to actually follow your advice and have it end badly.

You got it. :D I never said anything about tampering with or inverting the vent.
It's completely non-invasive. You can sometimes catch a glimpse of the "pimple" after a big poopie when the bird is again, moving its vent. And so anyone like Lauren and myself can just watch the bird moving its own vent to watch for a pimple to appear or not appear!
My advice was to inspect the vent as the bird moved those muscles on its own so anyone following my advise will not be harming their bird. I never advised to squeeze the bird, insert a finger, or otherwise tamper with the bird's personal areas!
I think you miss-understood me when I used the word "inspect."
Anyone following my advice would just be looking at the bird's butt. :pop

Yeah I think I'll buy the collar just in case thank u all for ur help. It is a beautiful chick bonded so well with me and my family so I'll do my damned to keep it.
Does anyone know if vets castrate roos like other pets or is that just something that isn't done.I'm in the UK if that helps. Thanks again

A castrated rooster is called a capon, and if castrated early in life, will look like more a hen, and supposedly, not crow. I suppose any brave vet could do it, but you might want to find an avian vet, or a livestock vet who handles poultry.

I understand the attachment! Chickens make the best pets.

If he is a rooster do they only crow of u have hens or do they crow any way?: I got a couple other chicks and he/she just tries fighting them and seems only interested I'm my family so do people recommend he/she lives alone still or I keep trying to get these guys to be friends.

A rooster will crow more frequently around other roosters, but they will crow just the same around hens, and I believe will crow from time to time even when alone.
Now, chickens are social birds so it's not the best idea to only have one chicken, even if you provide it tons of attention.
My chicks are four to five weeks old and play fighting most hours of the day. As long as it's not brutal with screaming and eye gouging and feather pulling, they will be okay.
They will have a pecking order and you shouldn't try to interfere with that pecking order.
If it's not brutal fighting, just keep an eye on them. Being younger they should get along well soon enough and you'll have a nice happy family there. :celebrate

If you'd like to learn more about chicken social behavior and the pecking order, BYC has some good articles on that for those new to chickens.

Thanks I have had chickens a while but this chick is just something else to me and he's/she's been alone from day one because of bad hatch and seems pretty happy this way. When I put them together he/she tries to go for their eyes and pull their tails but he/she is a bantam breed the other two r sex links so they will get larger than him/her. Thanks for ur reply I think he/she would rather me live in the coop haha! But I jus thought if he turns out to be a boy and he wanted to be alone then adding hens may make him crow more. I want him to like chickens but he seems to just want people. Funny little guy.

Back
Top Bottom