Pullet or Roo? Think breed is EE...?

@Jacquieh that was so kind of you to rescue the chick! I understand that they are just pets, I just wanted to mention it since you were in this part of the forum. The reason I think she looks like a BSL is because she does not have muffed cheeks, she has a single comb, and from the picture it looks like she is black with copper leakage starting at the chest and spreading (am I wrong?). This is one of my BSLs at a young age: View attachment 1020806
But I also got this girl from a bin of BSLs (she is a mix):
View attachment 1020807
and this guy (another mix labeled as a Australorp)
View attachment 1020808

Whatever your girls are I understand they are just your girls and their breeds don't necessarily matter :).
Thank you for the kind praise. She has actually "rescued" me....without going into to much detail, I have a dysfunctional family and my days were filled with dread. Since getting my first girl the Black Sexlink, my life has changed for the better. I can't begin to explain how much I LOVE and ADORE her. It's nothing I ever expected:)
And yes, she is gold/copper from the neck down and then black. And the picture you posted looks EXACTLY like my girl (Matilda)
20170503_181609_1493948468665.jpg

That's her in this picture. My brother is a photographer...I Love this shot.
So, thank you for explaining to me a bit better as to why everyone thought she was a BSL. Cause the pictures I saw online, didn't look like her at ALL? And the comb,pea comb, etc has me a bit confused, but on a previous post someone said Araucana,Americauna and EE's have that pea comb...And looking at my new girl (the Araucana or Americauna) I see the difference. And you are right...mutts or not...I love my two girls beyond measure....but it's nice to know what they 'might' be...lol Especially since I love their temperament and color, so if i do get more some day,i would like to know which breed to look for.

Aren't Araucanas supposed to be rumpless? I thought they had tufts and lacked tails...I'd say they are both EE pullets.
I read that Araucana's and Anericaunas are rumpless. And looking at the supposed Araucana, her back looks different than my first girl. But she has tail feathers, it's just her saddle feather area looks different. I guess I need to look up what their rumps look like...lol

I read that Araucana's and Anericaunas are rumpless. And looking at the supposed Araucana, her back looks different than my first girl. But she has tail feathers, it's just her saddle feather area looks different. I guess I need to look up what their rumps look like...lol
Ameraucanas have tails, muffs and beards. Araucanas are rumpless and have ear tufts, no muffs or beard. Easter Eggers typically look like Ameraucanas due to their muffs, peacombs and beards, but the label "Easter Egger" includes any non-standard breed bird that lays a blue or green egg.

I said MOST EEs are Am mixes. They aren't a breed by any stretch, the only real requirement is they lay colored eggs and that isn't even a guarantee. Since only Cream Legbars, Araucanas, and Ameraucanas produce blue eggs, any blue egg laying chicken will either be one of those breeds or mixed with them.

And that's not true. I'd go into more detail, but it doesn't seem like you're going to listen, so not gonna waste my time.

And that's not true. I'd go into more detail, but it doesn't seem like you're going to listen, so not gonna waste my time.

You are certainly entitled to do whatever you want with your own time.

@Jaquieh

Ameraucanas and Araucanas are recognized breeds of chickens that have their own standards of perfection. They also have breeders associations and clubs dedicated to the birds with all the information you could ever desire on their websites if you're as curious about it as I was. C: the history of the Araucana and Ameraucana breeds was pretty interesting. You can Google Ameraucana Breeders Association and get some good results that way. (I have 2 Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas so I swung more toward those breeds than the Araucanas)

But no matter what, you have two cute chickens and I'm glad they're having a positive impact on your life. : D

You are certainly entitled to do whatever you want with your own time.

@Jaquieh

Ameraucanas and Araucanas are recognized breeds of chickens that have their own standards of perfection. They also have breeders associations and clubs dedicated to the birds with all the information you could ever desire on their websites if you're as curious about it as I was. C: the history of the Araucana and Ameraucana breeds was pretty interesting. You can Google Ameraucana Breeders Association and get some good results that way. (I have 2 Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas so I swung more toward those breeds than the Araucanas)

But no matter what, you have two cute chickens and I'm glad they're having a positive impact on your life. : D
@elliesaurus thank you for the info. I am Very interested in both of those breeds. Plus the EE mystery, lol. I like to read and since I have chickens I want to know as much as I can....Plus, the color of my new girl (Gracie Ann, the Araucana imposter, lol) is so pretty. Or rather, I like how from head to tail, all of the feathers have such different patterns. The top of the head in one color and pattern, the neck and throat anther, and so on.....it looks like 5 different chickens feathers were stuck on one bird, lol. Plus, for browns, tans, and greys, they are mixed together so vibrantly, I find it awesome! And I like the colors I just said, and that my Gracie has, yet in the wings there can be a grayish lavender color. I saw several at the feed store that I bought Gracie from....as you can see, I could go on and on about their colors! I've never seen chickens that look like this before, so I REALLY fell in Love with these two breeds....and everyone says how sweet,and friendly they are. So again, thank you for the info and the kind words. If I had known having chickens would have changed my life so Drastically, I would have had a FLOCK years ago. Lol:love
20170526_151022.jpg
Gracie Ann
I realize I am a "new mom" and as such, think My baby is the prettiest darling to ever live...lol...
Jacquie

EEs are awesome! I hope i havent come across like they're not just because they're not "purebred". Little Gracie should give you some pretty eggs when she's older and lots of affection for her whole life. C: Easter eggers come in a million different coloration; here's a picture of the mixed breed neighbor rooster that likes to creep.on my girls. He's lucky hes pretty!

20170508_170852.jpg 20170302_143038.jpg

EEs are awesome! I hope i havent come across like they're not just because they're not "purebred". Little Gracie should give you some pretty eggs when she's older and lots of affection for her whole life. C: Easter eggers come in a million different coloration; here's a picture of the mixed breed neighbor rooster that likes to creep.on my girls. He's lucky hes pretty!

View attachment 1023510 View attachment 1023512
Omg...No, not at all. You have been teaching me:) and I appreciate the info. I don't know if Gracie is an Americauna or EE, but I love her no matter. And my BSL, that I thought was an EE....I love her, for Her:) It's their personalities that I love. Their feathers are just a bonus, lol....but I do think I'm more partial to the Americauna breed, cause if the colors and the look of their feathers.
That rooster is BEAUTIFUL! He looks like a patchwork quilt! Lol! He seems freindly, cause that's a close up pic of him!
You need to show me some of your girls:) Would love to see them. How many do you have?

Back
Top Bottom