Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msbee, Jun 25, 2011.

1. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    Here s/he is - 6.5 weeks old

I think s/he is a Partridge Rock or Speckled Sussex...

(I got 5 sets of 2 - Plymouth Rock, Black Sex-link, Partridge Rock, Buff Orp, and Speckled Sussex - I'm only sure about the BuffOrps and PlyRocks, and 1 Black SexL is still Black - the other went brown like the PR and SS. This is like one of those logic problems where you have to x the boxes to find out who's sitting next to who at the table, you know??? [​IMG])

Anyway - this one - we call her Truffle/Trouble because she likes to chest bump with the others, and is all around obnoxious - s/he'll stage dive into the group of others when they are gathered around feeding, etc. [​IMG]

Did I reach my 10% Roo possibility when you buy a bunch of pullets?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    You have a nice speckled sussex roo.

3. pepperlady

pepperlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    I think that you have a SS roo. I have SS hens & he looks like them EXCEPT his comb is much more defined & red. He also has a slimmer & taller build than my girls. But I'm a newbie & could be very wrong. I love your pics though!!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You have yourself a handsome and manly Speckled Sussex! I sympathize with you on getting a roo out of a batch of supposed girl. When I got my sex-links, they accidentally got a roo in my batch! That's pretty pathetic, since they're bred to be easily sexed [​IMG]

Luckily, most hatheries will either refund you, or give you a replacement chick if less than 90% of your order is female on sexed chicks.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Yes I agree!! I have 7 of them right now!! [​IMG]

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    ohhhhhh I like him!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. jtaylormade

jtaylormade Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Sonoma County
    Sure looks alot like our SS boys, not sure how old he is but only our males developed such a large comb that little. Our girls are longer and more plump with less whit on their chest and undercarriage as well, while the boys end up being more upright with with alot of white and pinkish combs developing rather fast once they hit about 5 weeks. Our girls still have very small combs even at 9 weeks.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

9. msbee

msbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    MN
    Ok, then, we have a roo!

However, my next question is how long do I have before he starts living up to his potential - crowing and ... you know... loving on the girls..? [​IMG]

The thing is I can't have a roo where we live, so I will start looking for a nice home for him right away - just want to know what to expect.

Thanks all!

10. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    That is one beautiful rooster... too bad you won't be keeping him. I may be wrong, but I think they *mature* around the same time hens do, when the girls start laying I think the roos will do their job...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by