Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hosspak, Sep 20, 2013.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Can someone tell if this Sex Link is a hen or rooster? I was told that it "should" be a hen. The breeder said, "You can tell it's a Rooster if he starts crowing".I have noticed that the comb and wattles have grown considerably in the last week or so. (this pic was 2 weeks ago, its comb and wattles are bit bigger and redder) In addition, It has been going head to head with Red (below) my RIR roo. Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bodee

Bodee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    Does it have spurs growing on its leg ?

3. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Haven't noticed or really looked for spurs, but I will. But I haven't seen spurs on my huge BCM roo either..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    If its a ture sex link, the breeder knew the minute that it hatched that it was a rooster.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, if it truly is a Sexlink you got duped or the breeder needs to educate themselves on their breeds. Sexlink hens should NOT be barred, ever. They are usually some solid color (red, black, golden) with some leakage in their hackles or few off colored feathers in their tails.
    Even if that bird were a barred rock, or something similar, it is still a boy. The light/grayish barring gives him away.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X 3 that's a boy, and if it was supposed to be a true sex link the breeder has a problem.

7. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It could very well be a sexlink, but it would be a black sexlink rooster (which are barred).

8. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    I second this. I see pointy saddle feathers coming in, as well, and I've noticed that the lighter barring is usually a sign that you have a boy. Even with my barnyard mix chicks, the females have darker feathering.

9. JennyRed

JennyRed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Buster, thinking he is roo, but ??? 7 wks old yesterday. Breed lol, mom silkie mix and brahma but a guess, dad bantam rooster. Mom and Buster 5 toes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  10. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Hi JennyRed [​IMG] You may want to start a new thread to post this, as it makes it easier to keep track of who is asking on what thread. I would guess cockerel based on the redness in the face, but there are others that would know better than me. Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by