Pullet or Roo?

hosspak

Songster
6 Years
Sep 2, 2013
Lake Elsinore, CA.
Can someone tell if this Sex Link is a hen or rooster? I was told that it "should" be a hen. The breeder said, "You can tell it's a Rooster if he starts crowing".I have noticed that the comb and wattles have grown considerably in the last week or so. (this pic was 2 weeks ago, its comb and wattles are bit bigger and redder) In addition, It has been going head to head with Red (below) my RIR roo. Thanks for the help.

Ditto, if it truly is a Sexlink you got duped or the breeder needs to educate themselves on their breeds. Sexlink hens should NOT be barred, ever. They are usually some solid color (red, black, golden) with some leakage in their hackles or few off colored feathers in their tails.
Even if that bird were a barred rock, or something similar, it is still a boy. The light/grayish barring gives him away.

X 3 that's a boy, and if it was supposed to be a true sex link the breeder has a problem.

X 3 that's a boy, and if it was supposed to be a true sex link the breeder has a problem.

I second this. I see pointy saddle feathers coming in, as well, and I've noticed that the lighter barring is usually a sign that you have a boy. Even with my barnyard mix chicks, the females have darker feathering.

Buster, thinking he is roo, but ??? 7 wks old yesterday. Breed lol, mom silkie mix and brahma but a guess, dad bantam rooster. Mom and Buster 5 toes.

Last edited:

Buster, thinking he is roo, but ??? 7 wks old yesterday. Breed lol, mom silkie mix and brahma but a guess, dad bantam rooster. Mom and Buster 5 toes.

Hi JennyRed
smile.png
You may want to start a new thread to post this, as it makes it easier to keep track of who is asking on what thread. I would guess cockerel based on the redness in the face, but there are others that would know better than me. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom