Pullet seems shock-y?

twoacresofhappy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Georgia, USA
I have a 5.5 month old, not-yet-laying, Buff Orp pullet who is lethargic and panting. My flock free range when I am home, and they have been out and about for the last 3 hours. Several of them often make their way to the front part of my house. I went out to offer them a few handfuls of rolled oats and noticed that one was standing off to the side, not moving. Not interested in treats, nor in water when we brought her inside. Her breathing seems slightly labored - not heavy panting but with slightly open mouth, and the rate is a bit faster than I'd expect. She's not laying yet, but I don't think she's egg-bound (though I'm not sure I'd know with certainty). I don't think I see any bugs (I've never seen lice or mites on a chicken, so I am only going on the pictures I've seen). They have never been wormed, and this one came from a farm where she was vacc'd. The entire flock (all are more or less the same age) was treated for cocci about 8 weeks ago.

I've cooked up some egg to offer her, though I suspect she'll ignore them. What should be my next steps?

Edited to add: No interest in the egg. She's laying down (upright), but still panting. I put a tiny piece of the egg in her beak, which she did swallow, but still isn't interested in more. I can't feel any food in her crop at all.

Last edited:
Well, gosh. :( I went to check on her and she has died. I'm so confused (and sad) - all five of my buff orp girls seems fine yesterday. I wish it weren't Friday - I think I'd try to drive her to UGA for a necropsy if it were earlier in the week.

Sorry for your loss... You can put her in the fridge and take her on Monday and some labs will take birds on Saturdays.

-Kathy

Sorry for your loss... You can put her in the fridge and take her on Monday and some labs will take birds on Saturdays.

-Kathy
X2. I tried my link for NPIP State labs and the site is shut down due to the supposed Fed shutdown
roll.png

Thanks, Michael Apple - I'll be sure to keep that list handy. I am sure she has access to at least a few of those (the only one I recognize immediately is azalea).

And thanks to casportpony, too. I read a bit here on BYC and then spoke with the owner of our local feed store, and I think I'm going to treat the flock prophylactically for worms and then for infection. I know it could be something else, but since I had already put her in the freezer (not the refrigerator - no room), I don't think a necropsy is an option.

Thanks, Michael Apple - I'll be sure to keep that list handy. I am sure she has access to at least a few of those (the only one I recognize immediately is azalea).

And thanks to casportpony, too. I read a bit here on BYC and then spoke with the owner of our local feed store, and I think I'm going to treat the flock prophylactically for worms and then for infection. I know it could be something else, but since I had already put her in the freezer (not the refrigerator - no room), I don't think a necropsy is an option.
You're welcome. Many feed stores will refuse to recommend anything other than Wazine as a wormer. The problem with Wazine is it will only kill roundworms since its active ingredient is piperizine. Valbazen solution is the broadest spectrum wormer available in feed stores because it contains Albendazole. Dosage is done orally with a syringe minus the needle. Give .5 cc for standard breeds, or .25 cc for Bantams.

If your birds are standards and only 5.5 months, .5 cc dose will be fine. Be sure to dose them again in 10 days. I've never had to worm birds that early in life, but depending on your environment, they may need it. If you aren't sure, you can have a few of them tested for worms at a local avian vet via fecal sample. If one or two have them, the rest usually do too. Fecal tests are expensive here, but may be not so expensive where you are. Good luck. Let us know how your birds are doing.

Last edited:
My feed store didn't have valbazen. Is there a recommended online source? I'll look for casportpony's guidelines, too. Thanks again!

I should ask first - should I hold off on the wazine, then, until I can find valbazen? What about the abx - go ahead with those?

Back
Top Bottom