1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet Shut Automatic Door, predator safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Melabella, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello all,,

Now that the weather is starting to get miserable, I am thinking that I would like to install an automatic door of some sort. I liked the look of the Pullet Shut automatic door. I like that they now have a light sensor to go along with the solar/battery option since I have no electric out to my coop and run.

My coop is inside my run, and I did the best I could to ensure it to be predator proof. 1 x 1 welded wire, with it dug underthe ground also. If something were to get in, say on the rare day I was away from home and couldn't shut the door to the run and a predetor got in, how safe is the Pullet shut door. Could a raccoon pry it open? Or dog or fox scratch at it and pry it open?

What do you think?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any thoughts,

MB

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I have both the Pullet Shut door and the Foy's vertical drop model. I don't think a predator (short of a bear) could get into either one, properly installed. Of the two, I would rank the Pullet Shut as best against predator intrusion. I doubt you could pull it open if you tried.

3. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the pullet shut. I ALWAYS highly recommend it. I don't think Godzilla could get it open. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. But honestly whatever was trying would have to have teeny tiny fingers to even get between the door and the edges. Don't think it's possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by