pullet sitting flat on butt with legs in front of her

She is only 1 1/2 years old. Was not being pick on by anybody. Our coop is very large plus they can go outside every day. One of our good layers. We have fed a complete layer crumble from North 40 plus they have free choice of oyster shells. Sometimes I would treat them with cracked corn and black sunflower seeds. I just made a video for you and I’m trying to figure out how to get it on you tube.

We

She has been like this now for at least a week and not getting any better.

View attachment 1640099

Can’t seem to get the video to down load but this is the position she just falls into when I let go of her. She will fall to either side same position.
Upload your video to youtube, then provide us a link.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently?

She's been like this for a week - does she have any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
I would get some poultry vitamins into Poultry Cell would be good if you have it (1cc per 3 pounds of weight). Also calcium form 3 days - 1/2 tablet of Caltrate (or store brand)

Have you felt to see if there is an egg inside her again?

My best guess would still be that she has Marek's or she may have a reproductive problem with something pressing on the nerves.

As suggested by Eggcessive, you can also try a sling to help keep her upright.

Upload your video to youtube, then provide us a link.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently?

She's been like this for a week - does she have any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
I would get some poultry vitamins into Poultry Cell would be good if you have it (1cc per 3 pounds of weight). Also calcium form 3 days - 1/2 tablet of Caltrate (or store brand)

Have you felt to see if there is an egg inside her again?

My best guess would still be that she has Marek's or she may have a reproductive problem with something pressing on the nerves.

As suggested by Eggcessive, you can also try a sling to help keep her upright.
No new chickens. For a couple of days did give her calcium tablets crashed I will put her back on them. I felt inside of her and do not feel anything. I am feeding her but yesterday she seems like she doesn’t want to eat now, I’m going to try and give her something different today to eat. I will try to make a sling for her today.

There is probably no need to keep giving her calcium tablets if you feel no egg inside her vent. Try feeding wet chick feed mixed with a small amount of cooked egg. She may well have Mareks disease, and besides lameness, they sometimes stop eating. I would use a sling with her, get her out often to do some physical therapy, try to stand her up, and let her sleep out of the sling at night. I would give her B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily ground onto her food. If you lose her, and want to test for Mareks, you will need to refrigerate, not freeze, her body and contact your state vet or poultry college for a necropsy. Here is contact info:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

We

She has been like this now for at least a week and not getting any better.
I have a rooster that got hurt in the coop. He came out in the morning with a bloody spur that had broken off. I believe he fell off the perch. Now he sits on his butt most of the day. Not walking as he should. He is a good rooster that we have had for a long while. It is cold now so he sits on hay in the pen and his girls sit all around him. I bring him in at night. Hoping he gets better. One leg works better than the other. He needs an xray I think. I am not culling him.

I have a rooster that got hurt in the coop. He came out in the morning with a bloody spur that had broken off. I believe he fell off the perch. Now he sits on his butt most of the day. Not walking as he should. He is a good rooster that we have had for a long while. It is cold now so he sits on hay in the pen and his girls sit all around him. I bring him in at night. Hoping he gets better. One leg works better than the other. He needs an xray I think. I am not culling him.
Welcome To BYC

This thread is originally from 2016, last replies were in 2019.

Do you need help with your rooster? If so, can you start a thread of your own- post clear photos of him, his legs, spur. List symptoms, his age, what you feed, etc.

1705553600985.jpeg

Did you find out what this issue is? My girl has the same issue!

Did you find out what this issue is? My girl has the same issue!
@Ultimatevillan Welcome To BYC

This thread is quite old, it may be best for you to start your own thread.
Post your own photos of Your Pullet and describe her symptoms.
Tell us what you feed, along with any treats or supplements, whether she's vaccinated or not, her age and what (if any) treatments/medications you have tried or given and how long has she been having problems.

Thanks!

1712546446205.png

Back
Top Bottom