Pullet started laying regularly and then stopped

Pyxie

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2020
I have a young hen that I got as a pullet back in October. I'm not sure of her exact age, but she was about a month away from laying when I got her and she did start laying almost exactly a month after getting her. At first, she laid pretty regularly for a new layer and I got 1 egg every 2 or 3 days. Afterwards, I stopped seeing eggs in the coop for a while until I found a nest of about a dozen eggs under a tree. They were all hers. After collecting those, I have not found a single egg from her since. Not in the coop or under that tree. And I won't rule out her finding a new hiding spot, but I have searched all over my yard in every possible spot and I can't find anything. Is it possible that she started off laying well and then just stopped or is it more likely that she's found a good hiding spot?

Some of my girls have been really sneaky. I don't see where you are but I usually find a small path. Or another very curious hen has outed her friend by hanging around the new spot.

If you can just watch them. I had one that was so sneaky she would start to go in one direction then look around. Then go the opposite direction and look around before finally going to her very hidden spot between rocks on a side of a hill.

And I won't rule out her finding a new hiding spot, but I have searched all over my yard in every possible spot and I can't find anything. Is it possible that she started off laying well and then just stopped or is it more likely that she's found a good hiding spot?
Yep.
Lock 'er up!
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried leaving her in the coop longer because before it seemed like she was laying in the morning, but that hasn't worked. I guess next step is to keep her locked up 24/7 until she figures it out. I hate to do that lol. I feel so bad when they don't get to run around.

Back
Top Bottom