Pullet Stuck In Feed Bin

RedTailRanch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Portland, OR
My Coop
My Coop
Just as I was sitting down with my coffee to look over the new topics on BYC, I heard one of my 7 week old chicks cheeping very loudly. It was the kind of cheap that makes you think something is wrong.

I went in to the brooder room, but of course, the cheaping stopped. I looked around and finally realized that on of the Speckled Sussex was lying in the tray portion of the large plastic cylinder-styl feed bin. It's a small space, maybe two inches wide and I wondered why she was squeezed in there lying down.

Turns out she had gotten herself stuck in there, with the prongs of the tall plastic bin holding her down and her leg was stuck, stretched out behind her.

I managed to get her loose, and don't think I caused any injury in getting her free, but now she can't walk. I don't know if the circulation was cut off or if she injured it trying to get free. I don't know how long she was in there either.

She is my one Speckled Sussex who was showing a good recovery from the AE. How horrible to have to put her down for a broken leg or torn muscle after 5 weeks of nursing her back to health!

In the literature on AE it explains how stress will cause a recurrence of the neuro symptoms...I imagine she will get better when she settles back down and recovers from the stress/.

Thanks everyone! She is walking around some and standing, so I don't think it's broken. She is stumbling so it may be bruised or a recurrence of the AE symptoms like Unicorn mentioned. I'm hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom