Pullet vs Cockerel 8 weeks

So... question: for future reference, any RIR I buy from a hatchery is likely to be a production red? I chose RIRs for their laying and temperament. I will say that my girls all have very unique personalities. They run the gamot from timid to pushy. Social to anti-social.

So... question: for future reference, any RIR I buy from a hatchery is likely to be a production red?
Any RIR you buy from a hatchery will still be a Rhode Island Red. It just won't be a "good" one, as considered by people who want their chickens to look like the breed standard says. Don't take them to a chicken show and expect to do well.

I chose RIRs for their laying and temperament. I will say that my girls all have very unique personalities. They run the gamot from timid to pushy. Social to anti-social.

Hatchery RIRs should lay just as well as any other RIRs, and probably better than the show quality ones. And if you like the temperament of your chickens, then I think you've got the right chickens for you!

The reason hatchery quality chickens will tend to lay better than show quality ones: a hatchery will never cull their best layers for being the wrong color or having a poorly-shaped comb or any other such cosmetic point. A show breeder cares much more about how a chicken looks than about how well it lays. A person who wants them to look "right" and also produce well needs to strike a balance somewhere in between, but in between still doesn't lay as well as chickens selected only for their laying ability.

Hatchery chickens will usually also be selected for good health in their first year of life, because an unhealthy chicken doesn't lay well either. But hatcheries will tend to replace their breeding flock every year, so they are not selecting at all for how the chickens do in their second year and beyond. They could lay well or poorly, be healthy or sickly, and the hatchery would never know if it happens after the age when the breeding stock is usually culled.

Personally, I like hatchery-quality chickens, but I know that not everyone does.

Personally, I like hatchery-quality chickens, but I know that not everyone does.
Thanks, Nat!

While visiting the girls this afternoon, I noticed that a couple of them do have black tails.

I've owned golden retrievers for many years. I've purchased from both show and hunting lines. There are notable differences within the single breed, and my preference leans toward the hunting lines, for their personalities. I chose my dogs' breeders, with no desire to show, nor hunt - but, because they were reputable breeders with proven lines, and health testing was an essential part of their programs. So, I do understand why some chicken enthusiasts might balk at hatchery-quality chickens. However, for my purposes, I think we'll do ok.
Chicken resources are a little harder to come by in my area.

I wanted to come back and share that my girls have definitely grown in their black tails. Some, more than others. And Trixie is a gorgeous, deep red. Also ~ Charlotte's temperament has mellowed quite a bit, since removing the cockerel from the mix.

Just love these girls 🧡

20211101_123345.jpg

Back
Top Bottom