Pullet was scalped - Graphic Picture

Joekun

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
I had two 5 year old chickens and decided to expand my flock. Got 6 chicks and raised them separately. Kept them separated where they could see each other but not interact for several weeks and then tried to integrate slowly. It didn’t go too well, the older birds would chase around the younger ones. Eventually the smallest one became injured, she would fall over and not be able to get up also she couldn’t get over even short obstacles. I separated the big ones from the others for several weeks and nursed the little one back to health. Finally I tried again. Everything seemed ok for several weeks.

The pullets are now 20 weeks oldThis morning we woke up to find the little one hiding in a corner. She had literally been scalped. Blood covered her face including her eyes. We cleaned her up, and now she has about a 1” diameter patch on her head where the skin is gone. We applied some Vaseline with tea tree oil to try and prevent infection. She is no longer bleeding, and she is resting in a safe place inside the house. I found an urgent care vet that will see chickens, but it’s quite expensive, and I’m wondering if it is worth it to have her seen, or if treating her wound at home is sufficient. I can’t afford to throw away money, but this hen is an important part of our family, so I wanted to get opinions from people who may know better than I.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 0EE23F86-2E9E-4A39-A872-5535636A16AA.jpeg
    0EE23F86-2E9E-4A39-A872-5535636A16AA.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 25
I had two 5 year old chickens and decided to expand my flock. Got 6 chicks and raised them separately. Kept them separated where they could see each other but not interact for several weeks and then tried to integrate slowly. It didn’t go too well, the older birds would chase around the younger ones. Eventually the smallest one became injured, she would fall over and not be able to get up also she couldn’t get over even short obstacles. I separated the big ones from the others for several weeks and nursed the little one back to health. Finally I tried again. Everything seemed ok for several weeks.

The pullets are now 20 weeks oldThis morning we woke up to find the little one hiding in a corner. She had literally been scalped. Blood covered her face including her eyes. We cleaned her up, and now she has about a 1” diameter patch on her head where the skin is gone. We applied some Vaseline with tea tree oil to try and prevent infection. She is no longer bleeding, and she is resting in a safe place inside the house. I found an urgent care vet that will see chickens, but it’s quite expensive, and I’m wondering if it is worth it to have her seen, or if treating her wound at home is sufficient. I can’t afford to throw away money, but this hen is an important part of our family, so I wanted to get opinions from people who may know better than I.

Thanks.
I had this happen once in a bad introduction.

I kept the wound clean, & applied Triple Antibiotic ointment to it every day. A day or two in between the ointment application I'll clean it, & let air out for a day, or two, then reapply the ointment.

I had this happen once in a bad introduction.

I kept the wound clean, & applied Triple Antibiotic ointment to it every day. A day or two in between the ointment application I'll clean it, & let air out for a day, or two, then reapply the ointment.

Thanks, how did you clean the wound? How long did it take to heal?

Chickens heal better if their wounds remain moist. Keep it clean with something mild, like saline. Do not use hydrogen peroxide more than once, as it's strong enough to kill living tissue while cleansing. Cover her eyes and beak with a dry cloth momentarily and squirt the scalp with blu-kote (any color EXCEPT red) and once that is dry apply triple antibiotic without pain reliever in it. If you think an eye may be affected by the attack, you can apply the triple antibiotic ointment into the eye as well. What by human standards would be a horrific injury, such as a near scalping, chickens recover from as if miraculously. Do not apply bandages, and do keep her separated, preferably in a wire dog crate in the coop to help her maintain her pecking order status.

Unfortunately we lost her today. I’m not sure what exactly happened. She seemed to be doing ok, the wound never got worse. I kept her in a cage in the chicken area so she would still be part of the flock. Came home to find her not moving. Very sad. I thought for sure she would pull through.

Chickens are incredibly stoic when it comes to pain. They will hide it at all costs. A sick chicken is often outcast from the flock or pecked to death; for the safety of the flock. It's just their way. Keep fresh in your mind how incredibly stoic your brave girl was, even while fighting for her life and ultimately losing that battle; apply the memory of her stoicism to any sick or injured members of your flock in the future so that something is gained from her passing.
:hugs

Poor baby - I am so sorry this happened and that you lost your little one. I give you so much credit for trying to help and trying to get care info quickly.

Back
Top Bottom