Pullet with glazed, swollen shut eyes

Thanks for all that’ll of that information. It appears it is MG or Croyza as the other chick is now exhibiting nasal discharge and a bit of foam from her mouth. No smell but Is that always present? I’ll purchase the Tysolin. Thanks again
Also, They both are making what I would describe as a qwapng motion, opening and closing their beaks and making a little clicking sound. I’m assuming that is a breathing issue. That sounds like MG.

Many chickens gape when they are having trouble breathing. Many confuse gapeworm with a respiratory disease. Do you see any bubbles or pus in the eyes? If there is no bad odor, I would lean more toward MG than coryza. I would use the Tylosin to see if it helps, and get a necropsy on any more that you lose. Once you know what you are dealing with, it can help to know how to treat it. MG can be common in some backyard flocks. It can be brought in with buying birds from a contaminated flock, and sometimes by wild migrating birds. MG and most diseases only remain in the environment for days to a few weeks once all birds are gone. So it is possible to get healthy baby chicks once these chickens are all gone.

Many chickens gape when they are having trouble breathing. Many confuse gapeworm with a respiratory disease. Do you see any bubbles or pus in the eyes? If there is no bad odor, I would lean more toward MG than coryza. I would use the Tylosin to see if it helps, and get a necropsy on any more that you lose. Once you know what you are dealing with, it can help to know how to treat it. MG can be common in some backyard flocks. It can be brought in with buying birds from a contaminated flock, and sometimes by wild migrating birds. MG and most diseases only remain in the environment for days to a few weeks once all birds are gone. So it is possible to get healthy baby chicks once these chickens are all gone.
I just have the two pullets and two large hens. I’ve got the pullets separated the hens seem fine. I just got them so I know the move and one hen asserting her pecking order claim will have stressed the first one. She must have already had MG. It appears the other has it now. I think the first may be beyond saving. I hope the medication helps. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom