Pullet with hole in her head!

GroovyFarmer

Chirping
Aug 9, 2016
Canada
I have recently discovered that one of my new chickens has an actual hole in her head! I assume my older, bigger meat chickens must've picked on her because she is a smaller egg chicken and was only recently introduced to the flock. The hole is a bit bigger than my pinkie nail and the skin around it is black. I don't want to kill this one if there's a chance of saving her because of an unlucky year with chickens. Is there anything I can do to help her?

welcome-byc.gif
Apply some antibiotic ointment. Chickens readily heal from such injuries. Make sure that the flock is still not picking on her.

Forgot to mention that I separated her from the rest as soon as I noticed the injury! Thanks for the advice and the welcome, sourland! I'll be sure to find some ointment for her.
smile.png

I had one hen that the rooster and other hens would do that to her. I sprayed the wound with bannix pet. Its an antibacterial and anti fungal. I spray her whole head. She was one of the older hens but when the rooster would mount her two other hens would run over and start in on the back of her head. I finally got a small coop just for her and gave a another hen for company. An extra rooster moved in too. Problem solved.

My hen is doing okay, thank you! She's separated from the other chickens and I apply antibacterial ointment twice a day. The only thing I'm unsure about is the black flesh surrounding her wound, which has just recently begun what appears to be separation from the healthy flesh. Should I take that as a sign that it's healing?

Back
Top Bottom