Pullet with lame leg

igotgoosed

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
North Texas
) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Blue Maran, almost 6 months old. Not sure on weight, but normal keel
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Acts normally and in good spirits in spite of her situation. Her left lag is completely lame. She will not bear any weight on it and it is stretched out in front/to the side of her. The foot curls under some as well. She started limping a several weeks ago after I noticed a rooster gave her quite the run around. She has remained the same as she is now the past few weeks. I assumed she sprained it and put her in a crate to keep her off the leg.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? A month or more
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I saw her being chased aggressively by a rooster, I did not notice any issues prior to this. She had no problem running from him!
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating and drinking well. She is on grower feed and I am adding a vitamin supplement to her water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Nice normal poops
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Confinement in a crate inside the coop
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Must treat myself, there are no avian vets anywhere close
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She is in a crate in pine shavings

I'm hoping this can be treated with some sort of wrapping or other method. This is my daughter's little pullet and she is quite fond of her. I really appreciate any help and suggestions!

Here are pics I just took if it helps! She was happy and eager to get out, even took a dust bath (we take her out daily and let her have a dust bath and pick grass)

Back
Top Bottom