Pullet with runny nose and stretching out neck like gasping

Iditarod

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Colorado
I have an 10 week old Barred Rock Pullet who started stretching her neck out and looked like she was gasping and also shaking head side to side. I treated for gape worm first since that was suggested here before I tried any antibiotics.

Her nose is still running and still doing the neck stretching and opening mouth and shaking head. Her comb is getting slightly pale so I think I need to try something else.

The only antibiotics that is available near me is (Aspen) Bactracillin G/Penicillin G procaine injectable suspension. I have 22 gauge syringes I bought from TSC.

She only weighs 1 pound as I just weighed her on a digital food scale. What is the best dose I should give her and where should I administer it? Also for how many days in a row? I appreciate all your help in advance. I have given sub Q injections and intramuscular injections in my dogs so I am familiar with both.

Thank you

10 week old Barred Rock Pullet who started stretching her neck out and looked like she was gasping and also shaking head side to side. I treated for gape worm first since that was suggested here before I tried any antibiotics.

Her nose is still running and still doing the neck stretching and opening mouth and shaking head. Her comb is getting slightly pale so I think I need to try something else.
The only antibiotics that is available near me is (Aspen) Bactracillin G/Penicillin G procaine injectable suspension. I have 22 gauge syringes I bought from TSC.
Do you have photos or video of her?

As suggested in your other thread, it sounds like she has a respiratory illness. Tylan50 would be a good antibiotic to use. Can you ask your local TSC if they can get that for you? If not I would order some Baytril. You can find it here:https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Is her crop emptying overnight? (empty before she eats/drinks in the morning)

Do you have photos or video of her?

As suggested in your other thread, it sounds like she has a respiratory illness. Tylan50 would be a good antibiotic to use. Can you ask your local TSC if they can get that for you? If not I would order some Baytril. You can find it here:https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Is her crop emptying overnight? (empty before she eats/drinks in the morning)
Hello and thanks for responding. Her crop is empty in the morning before I feed them. I asked our local TSC and they said they cannot get Tylan 50 anymore. So I purchased Bactracillin G/Penicillin G Procaine . Here is picture of her with her mouth gaping she does it like 3-4 times in a row while stretching out her neck, and than just walks away She is seeming more tired lately so any advice would be great thank you
mouth open.jpg

The Penicillin may help, but it's really not that effective for respiratory disease, this is why Baytril or Tylan50 are being suggested.

I suppose you can try it to see if it helps if that's all you can get.

Ok thank you very much I ordered the Baytril today per your suggestion, thnaks (should be here friday ) So what will my dose be for a pullet that weighs 1 pound and for how long do I treat her?

She passed away this morning. She was never in major distress so we thought she was tuning around but unfortunately not. I am going to continue treating the BSL that was in close contact with her just to be on the safe side. I am bringing her in for Necropsy and I will post the results when I get them. Thank you all for the help on this. :(:(:(:(

She passed away this morning. She was never in major distress so we thought she was tuning around but unfortunately not. I am going to continue treating the BSL that was in close contact with her just to be on the safe side. I am bringing her in for Necropsy and I will post the results when I get them. Thank you all for the help on this. :(:(:(:(
I'm sorry to hear you lost her :hugs

It's good that you are getting a necropsy. Please do let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom