Pullets came debeaked. . .can I add to main flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BeccaOH, May 12, 2009.

1. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I've had my Meyer's hatchery pullets for a month in their own pen.

I was sad to find when I picked them up at the hatchery that they had been debeaked. I know they were hatched and raised in VA and then shipped in crates to OH, so I guess I understand why the debeaking, but I don't really like it. After a month, I don't see much growth in the beaks--the lower beak is longer than the top. But they are all 4 now laying almost an egg a day. [​IMG]

I really want to put the 4 in with my main flock. Do you think I can when they don't have their beaks for defense? I have 11 grown hens with beaks that they'll have to stand up to. They've seen each other through their run fence for a month, but haven't really been together. I'd like to put them together on the day I open the main flock to their new larger run area.

**This is not a place to discuss debeaking issues, just integrating flocks advice.** Thanks!

2. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Introduce them as you would any other new birds.

They will be fine. There beaks will never grow back. I had two rescues that were debeaked, they were both higher on the pecking order than my RIR whom has a normal beak.

Depends on how tough and over bearing they are. The debeaking is just so they do not injure eachother when pecking- but they can still peck if they want...don't need to injure to dominate or intimidate others [​IMG]

e

Last edited: May 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by