Pullets eyes are swollen, red, and being pushed down

TCervantes

Hatching
Apr 11, 2021
Help! My cream leg bar came up with mysterious symptoms. It seems like it may be coryza. But some info is pointing me towards it not being, because pressure comes from under the eyes.

Attachments

• 20210409_164905.jpg
    20210409_164905.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 12
Both mycoplasma. (MG) and coryza can cause a swollen eyelid and conjunctivitis. Those are chronic respiratory diseases. Both cause most of the flock to become carriers. Is there a bad odor? Is she sneezing or doing any head shaking? Occasionally something can get into the eye and cause infection. Have you seen any older birds sick before? Where did the chick come from?

Both mycoplasma. (MG) and coryza can cause a swollen eyelid and conjunctivitis. Those are chronic respiratory diseases. Both cause most of the flock to become carriers. Is there a bad odor? Is she sneezing or doing any head shaking? Occasionally something can get into the eye and cause infection. Have you seen any older birds sick before? Where did the chick come from?
She came from a tractor supply. Its not ideal, but there isn't anyone where I live who breeds locally. None of my chickens have ever had anything like this. She is isolated and I am watching the rest of my young birds. All my young birds are isolated from the rest of my flock, thank goodness! Best umbrella treatment for both?

No odor, head shaking, and she isn't sneezing. No bloody stools ect. It is bilateral so it isn't a forgiven body or damage from pecking

She came from a tractor supply. Its not ideal, but there isn't anyone where I live who breeds locally. None of my chickens have ever had anything like this. She is isolated and I am watching the rest of my young birds. All my young birds are isolated from the rest of my flock, thank goodness! Best umbrella treatment for both?
You can only treat the symptoms. If it's either if those they will be carriers for life and she will infect your flock once she is put with them. I dont think this is a respiratory though. I'm wondering if she has some sort of swelling that is pushing her eyes down.

You can only treat the symptoms. If it's either if those they will be carriers for life and she will infect your flock once she is put with them. I dont think this is a respiratory though. I'm wondering if she has some sort of swelling that is pushing her eyes down.
She definitely has swelling from the top down. You can sort of see it on the picture. Its almost like her head is deformed. I haven't had cream leg bars before so I'm unsure if that is how their head is, due to the poof, or if there is something wrong. She is just starting to develop her poof.

Attachments

• 20210411_213959.jpg
    20210411_213959.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 7
Can you post another picture or two of the front of her head and from the other side? Could she have a swollen head, possibly from a leaking air sac? Those can occur from a bump to the head. Does it feel like air under her skin? Here is a thread about another chicken with a leaking air sac around the head:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-a-ruptured-air-sac.889866/

Back
Top Bottom