Pullets hatched September 2012 & waiting for eggs?

I have three hens with really red combs but only the one is laying. Her comb was pink until a few weeks ago so I was surprised that she was the first to lay. It is now quite a deep red.

My hatchery RIR have bright red combs and I have lighting in the coop. They also were hatched in mid September. Still no eggs. I checked a few vents. They look like egg laying vents. I have checked the coop and run, no hidden eggs. Mine don't really squat though so maybe they are not as close to laying as I would like. Still our rooster are mounting them quite a bit. Maybe tomorrow, just not Sunday since my husband checks for eggs on Sundays and I really want to find those first eggs.

I'm sorry about your hen. What breed is your oldest pullet? I've seen so many people say their chickens started laying at 20 weeks and wonder if anything is wrong with my pullet. I guess I'll have to give her time.

My oldest pullet is supposedly an Ameraucana. However, I suspect that it may actually be an Olive Egger. My Delawares didn't start laying until they were roughly 26 weeks old - and thought that was very late for most pullets. Now, I wish my pullets would have started that early!

My RIR squats daily in the nest box with the rooster squatting nearby to keep her company. My hen and rooster are inseparable! Sometimes when she leaves her nest box, he fixes the box and calls her to come back. hehe

My rir pullet hatched back in sept may lay her first egg today! She found a spot in the yard, making a nest & rooster close by her guarding. second time she went to her own made nest this morning and maybe an egg will follow soon

Nope. after i witnessed the pullet lay the "first" egg i went to clean out the coop & found a darker brown slightly cracked egg in corner outside the coop!! No wonder she was so loud & grouchy sunday!

Back
Top Bottom