Pullets kicking nest bedding around

Any chance they are close to laying?
Have they done this since you'd had them or has it just started?
Messing up the nests, IME, is often a sure sign that eggs are imminent.
They'll stop doing that after they've been laying awhile.

Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

It seems like the buff orpingtons and the RI Reds (same age roughly 17 weeks) are the biggest offenders. Egg production with the other ones has gone down quite a bit but I'm guessing that could be from a variety of things, like shorter days and maybe some added stress this past week from finally having the other younger pullets integrated into the same coop/run. But I'm a little curious if the young ones kicking nests/bedding all around is disrupting any of the layers.

I ran into this exact problem! — I ended up buying Nesting pads, my older hens didn’t much like them at first, but they got used to them real quick. I’d say less than a week. They are quite comfortable with them now.
In fact, I’m actually thinking I might just stick with the nesting pads instead of changing back to the Bedding once the young ones get more mature, I do quite like them myself…

I ran into this exact problem! — I ended up buying Nesting pads, my older hens didn’t much like them at first, but they got used to them real quick. I’d say less than a week. They are quite comfortable with them now.
In fact, I’m actually thinking I might just stick with the nesting pads instead of changing back to the Bedding once the young ones get more mature, I do quite like them myself…

I ended up buying nesting pads as well mainly for more cushion. Have not had any broken eggs since putting those in this past Saturday. I did still put chopped straw over the top of them so they can form it how they like, but the younger pullets seem a lot less curious with this newer straw I put in and they just leave it alone. I thought they would have been way more into eating and kicking it around because it's actually a straw/hay combo, but they've proven me wrong! So far I'd say the issue has improved, thankfully.

I have 6 Ancona pullets that are 27 weeks old & have been laying since 17 weeks. I have used excelsior nest pads the last few years & these buggers scratch that out along with the paper backing. I ended up putting in fake grass pads I bought a few years ago, because otherwise I have broken eggs. I will not replace the others weekly, mucho expensive. I plan to buy some more fake ones in case I have to wash the others, I am not sure how the older hens will like the situation when I use only the fake grass.

I ended up buying nesting pads as well mainly for more cushion. Have not had any broken eggs since putting those in this past Saturday. I did still put chopped straw over the top of them so they can form it how they like, but the younger pullets seem a lot less curious with this newer straw I put in and they just leave it alone. I thought they would have been way more into eating and kicking it around because it's actually a straw/hay combo, but they've proven me wrong! So far I'd say the issue has improved, thankfully.
This is so awesome to hear!! 👍🏼Yay!

That’s good. It’s a hard habit to break .. You would see clear evidence of egg-eating with yolk stains left behind

I have an olive egger who just started to lay a couple weeks ago. Her first egg was broken and definitely eaten. That's what got me pretty worried. On the other hand, it hasn't been an issue since the nest pads and different bedding, and only that first egg of hers has been a loss!

Back
Top Bottom