Pullets kicking nest bedding around

Krux5506

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Rochester NY
I have 5 laying hens who seem to like the straw I use in their boxes. When laying, I've seen then pick up clumps of straw and just throw it over their backs for whatever reason. But it's fine enough they can easily form their butts into it when laying.

Now I have younger hens I've introduced to that flock last week. The young ones aren't laying, but they seem to love to get into the nest boxes and kick this stuff all over the place into the rest of the coop, to the point where now I may get nest pads because I'm having eggs crack either from being laid onto the box floor with lack of straw or because the chicks are kicking the eggs around with the straw. Any ideas what to do about it? As of now I just keep adding straw to the boxes and figuring they'll get over it soon, but I don't know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005_132802.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005_132802.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 72
The young ones don't understand that the nest boxes are for nesting yet. When they come into lay, they will.

I would either exclude them for now, but if that isn't possible then either put a lip around so they can't chuck it out, or use mats. Even old towels will do if you don't want to buy anything new.

They will grow out of it!

Back
Top Bottom