Pullets making noise!!

CoopersFarm

Chirping
Sep 13, 2019
Sagaponack, New York
Hello all,

I have 8 pullets on an acre, full free-range, that sleep in a coop at night. They arrived as 1 day old chicks on May 15, which puts them at about 17 weeks. One pullet, in particular, is always trying to get into the house if we leave the door open and is constantly on the porch. She is also starting to make a lot of noise and also does the submissive thing by squatting when you go near her. Her comb is pretty red. My question is, should I be concerned about the squawking? It is pretty loud and becoming more regular. A bit concerned my neighbors are going to kill me.

Thanks!

Adam

Nope that's normal chicken behavior , the are getting close to laying and once that happens will sing an egg laying song , as long as ordinances don't permits having chickens where you live you should be fine as it's not super early or late at night. just talk to your neighbors and warn em you have teenage chickens that are trying to work things out to start laying and your sorry if they get a bit noisy for time being during the day time. If it bothers your neighbor once they start laying take him a few eggs occasionally that does wonders for soothing grouchy neighbors lol

its the black on on the right that is the clucker/squawker.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpeg
    IMG_0059.jpeg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 134
nope those are both pullets, the black ones comb is lots brighter red as she's matured so you may want to keep them in the coop in the mornings until she lays an egg always easier to start training them before lay, you could put a fake egg in the nesting box to show them where to lay too. that way they know where you want them to lay and you don't have to go on an egg hunt, there is also a possibility as red as her comb is she's laying them around where she wanders lol

Hello all,

I have 8 pullets on an acre, full free-range, that sleep in a coop at night. They arrived as 1 day old chicks on May 15, which puts them at about 17 weeks. One pullet, in particular, is always trying to get into the house if we leave the door open and is constantly on the porch. She is also starting to make a lot of noise and also does the submissive thing by squatting when you go near her. Her comb is pretty red. My question is, should I be concerned about the squawking? It is pretty loud and becoming more regular. A bit concerned my neighbors are going to kill me.
Thanks!Adam
Thanks everyone. I sent a video to some friends of the the loudmouth and two people are trying to claim its a rooster. hope not
We want to see the video too! :lol:
The BYC upload does not work, so you will need to provide us a link to youtube or similar platform.

Back
Top Bottom