pullets or cockerals?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4boysmom, Jul 1, 2010.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Welsummer chicks

CHICK 1

[​IMG]

CHICK 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHICK 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your feedback!

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    To me they all look like pullets, but really they're to young to be 100% sure.
    [​IMG]

3. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Yea, you can't be sure as to what sex they are when they are soo young.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    sometimes you can tell if you look at there wing feathers, points are boys and rounded are girls, it works 70% of the time.

Also boys feather out slower than girls.

5. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I'm sure it's not a 100% but my 8 Welsummer chicks turned out just as I expected based on the definition of the V on the top of their heads. The sharply defined V on #1 says pullet.#2 has a little softer edge so is probably a roo? Not sure about #3 from these pictures, but I'd guess roo?

6. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mine aren't old all enough to know whether what I've read is true, but I think a sharply defined V on the top of their head & nice dark "eyeliner" indicates a girl. Based on this, I would say 3 looks like a girl, 2 is possibly a boy, & not sure about 1- what does the eyeliner look like on that one?

As they start to feather in more, the girls will get a reddish-salmon colored chest & boys will have a darker chest.

7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I'll put in my two cents worth. I have hatched Welsummer eggs in my incubator two times. Both times I was able to tell the pullets from the roos by the markings on their head and the "eyeliner". I say Chick 1 is a pullet, #2 a roo, and #3 a pullet. [​IMG]

8. mama n her peeps

mama n her peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    how do u post pics on here i have 8 new chicks they are 5 1/2 weeks and i was told they were all pullets but now im not so sure! what if i have all roos i will go crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by