Pullets or Cockerels - EE, Salmon Faverolles and Speckles Sussex

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
I never formally introduced my group of new chicks I got almost a month ago now. They will be 4 weeks on Friday. I believe I have at least 2 Roos among the girls. I know it’s way too soon to tell, but it’s fun to guess and hear other people guess. I’m going to post a pic of each chick and would love to hear what you all think!! Pics will be below in the comments.

How many did you get? It’s hard to tell from all the pictures? They are adorable! Where did you get them from if you don’t mind me asking, I’m looking into options now...

I got 10. Thank you! They are such cuties. I got them from a local breeder. She doesn’t ship chicks but she does ship hatching eggs. My first batch came down with a horrible respiratory infection and I lost more than half. These are my replacements. Chicken math got the best of me and I got twice as many as I lost haha.

I got 10. Thank you! They are such cuties. I got them from a local breeder. She doesn’t ship chicks but she does ship hatching eggs. My first batch came down with a horrible respiratory infection and I lost more than half. These are my replacements. Chicken math got the best of me and I got twice as many as I lost haha.
That darned chicken math...it happened to me with ducks..don’t even ask how many I have!! :lol:

The faverolles are pullets. They're sexually dimorphic, meaning the males don't look like the females. Males are darker, and you'd have black feathers coming in if they were male.
I don't see anything about anybody else except that one EE that would scream cockerel at me. The one ee *could* be a cockerel. I'd give it some time, but the comb looks rather wide to me.

View attachment 1979975 Last 2 are Owl (green) and Stripey Face (blue). Owl is weirdly small compared to the other EEs. Stripey Face looks exactly like the one I think is a Rooster but she has more markings on her face and a smaller, paler comb.

I think that’s everyone!
How many did you get? It’s hard to tell from all the pictures? They are adorable! Where did you get them from if you don’t mind me asking, I’m looking into options now...

Your chicks are so cute! I wouldn't even begin to try and tell you whether or not they are cockrells or pullets. I'd say don't lose hope just yet, they may all be female.
You said you got them from a private breeder. Just out of curiosity, how were they sexed? What method did the breeder use?

The only suspected male is the EE in the first pics. For not quite 4 weeks old, it is a wider comb with some color. You’ll know for sure in a few more weeks.

nothing stands out as male in the others, but they are young still.

The SF would be sporting black feathers if male by now. You have a nice light colored female! They are a very fluffy bird. They are also very docile/laid back birds.
Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom