Pullets or Roos??

MelNZ

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2020
Hi, my sons each got a couple of day old chicks to add to our flock about 16 weeks ago, I can tell a couple are roosters but I am not sure about the others (or I am in denial). Any help would be great I want hens and my sons want roosters 🤦🏽‍♀️
I will attach a few photos, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 6E66B011-1AEF-4938-A2DA-C476D96FEABE.jpeg
    6E66B011-1AEF-4938-A2DA-C476D96FEABE.jpeg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 27
  • D5D568C6-FE16-42CF-8E65-B67A535D1FC4.jpeg
    D5D568C6-FE16-42CF-8E65-B67A535D1FC4.jpeg
    771.5 KB · Views: 23
Thank you, I thought it might be a roo. I always seem to get boys - 3 sons, 2 boy dogs and last time we incubated some eggs we got 7 rooster and 3 hens 😱 My silkie just hatched 7 chicks so i might be in trouble again 🤣 Fingers crossed the golden laced will lay an egg one day!

Thank you, I thought it might be a roo. I always seem to get boys - 3 sons, 2 boy dogs and last time we incubated some eggs we got 7 rooster and 3 hens 😱 My silkie just hatched 7 chicks so i might be in trouble again 🤣 Fingers crossed the golden laced will lay an egg one day!
Yes, roosters are very attracted to me too :rolleyes:. I got my fingers crossed with you:fl!

A couple tips from me on sexing barred rocks is that from the age of just couple weeks and for the rest of their lives the roosters have more white in their plumage than the girls, making them lighter colored. If you look closely at their feathers you will see that the rooster has wider white bars while the pullets have wider black bars.
The second tip is that barred rocks are sex-linked and can be sexed as day olds by their feet color and the spot on their head, though I can't remember exactly how at the moment.
I learned these facts after I helped my neighbor pick out her chicks from the box of chicks at her school. Of the four chicks she chose the only rooster of them all was the only one that was sex-linked (which is very good for strait-run chicks, but still...:gig).

Back
Top Bottom