Pullets or .....

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
These were bought as Starlight Green Egger pullets, and they will be 16 weeks old tomorrow. I'm concerned about the hackle feathers ..... They look pointy .?.?.?

I really have NO idea what I'm talking about, so please inform me on the sex.

I'm trying to learn to tell the sexes apart, so please tell me what sex you think they are, and why. Thank you.

IMG_6316 (1024x682).jpg

IMG_5811 (1024x684).jpg

IMG_6281 (1024x683).jpg

These were bought as Starlight Green Egger pullets, and they will be 16 weeks old tomorrow. I'm concerned about the hackle feathers ..... They look pointy .?.?.?

I really have NO idea what I'm talking about, so please inform me on the sex.

I'm trying to learn to tell the sexes apart, so please tell me what sex you think they are, and why. Thank you.

View attachment 2430893

View attachment 2430899

View attachment 2430922
All are pullets.. :celebrate

The color is pullet colored but also pointy saddles start by about 12 weeks in most breeds..
1606753614233.png

I'm concerned about the hackle feathers ..... They look pointy .?.?.?

I think that's caused by how the colors are arranged on them. The actual feather shape is what matters, but some color patterns can make even a round feather look pointy.

If you look for pictures of roosters, their hackle feathers have a different shape--not just a sort-of point on the end, but long and narrow. Not quite like having hair, but not the wider feathers that a hen has.

I also agree with the posters who say that yours are pullets, and that saddle feathers are usually obvious before hackle feathers.

I think that's caused by how the colors are arranged on them. The actual feather shape is what matters, but some color patterns can make even a round feather look pointy.

If you look for pictures of roosters, their hackle feathers have a different shape--not just a sort-of point on the end, but long and narrow. Not quite like having hair, but not the wider feathers that a hen has.

I also agree with the posters who say that yours are pullets, and that saddle feathers are usually obvious before hackle feathers.

This is a good explanation! Hackle feathers are more long and narrow, and when they come in the texture of them will be distinctly different from the body feathers, they sort of hang differently, rather than smoothly transitioning into the body the way hens' feathers do.

Back
Top Bottom