Apr 5, 2019
Yellowstone County, Montana
I have eight, 16-week-old chickens, various breeds, all raised together. None laying yet. I have one unexpected SL Polish cockerel in the bunch, and besides crowing non-stop, he constantly herds the girls into the coop (even when it’s daytime and there are no perceived threats) and chases them down to mount, and chases them away from the food and/or treats.

I know it’s in a rooster’s nature to be aggressive - he attacks my spouse and child, but never me. However I assumed even if they are aggressive, the hens won’t care. My girls seem genuinely afraid of him.

Are my girls supposed to be afraid of the cockerel? Will they accept him when they all reach maturity? Is he just too aggressive for them?

Thanks!

His hormones are currently at 200% and climbing. If possible, you may wish to house him (and range him) separately for about a month so the hens sexual maturity can catch up. Ideally, they'll still be within eyesight and ear-shot to avoid reintegration woes. Cockerels at this age tend to be over-the-top with their wants and needs, it's totally normal and should settle down when the girls are more eagerly looking for a boyfriend. :love

His hormones are currently at 200% and climbing. If possible, you may wish to house him (and range him) separately for about a month so the hens sexual maturity can catch up.
Yeppers!!^^

he attacks my spouse and child,
This might have you wanting to permanently separating him.
Cock/erels can be a great addition to a flock.....or ruin chickeneering for everyone.
Keeping a cock/erel takes another learning curve, and it can be quite steep.

Back
Top Bottom