Pullets sleeping in nesting box?

Have your chickens ever slept in the nesting box?

• Total voters
I had one young hen that began sleeping in nest box. I have a hen cam in my coop so could see what she was up to, so for 3 nights, I went out and removed her. She stopped. Couldn't block it as others were laying and since I installed my automatic door, didn't feel like going out in the morning to unblock the box so others could lay.

Of course I disagree with almost everyone. My chicks did the same thing. Started out on the floor, then moved to the upper nesting boxes and finally started roosting on the very top roosting bar! Chickens have instincts but grow into some of them slowly. I was given adult chickens that were raised without roosts at all. After 4 months here, they were roosting! I say just let them be, they will grow up and move to the roosts before you know it! :p

I agree, but I'm more of the mindset of hands off unless absolutely necessary. But, it is hard not to jump in and try to protect them. I had three grown pullets trying to lay in the "favorite" nesting box at the same time! I have ten new chicks that can only get on the roosting bars AFTER the older ones have gotten off-sad, I know but as they get older they will earn their spot on the bars. I have a hen that hurt her leg, I did intervene at first but she was miserable so I put her back with the flock and she is doing just fine, she is able to put some pressure on her leg now but even with one leg she was still one of the first to the scrap bucket!

I have a question, regarding the roost bar, i put a 8 foot round wood curtain rod about 2" of diameter , they are 6 week old and just 2 week in their new coop, they sleep well there, did you think I should change to a 2 x 4 bar? did you think they are suffering in that round polo?

Hi, my hens have round wooden rods in their roost & are just fine. Think of nature- They roost in trees which have round branches. My only thought about the curtain rod is that it is very slippery, it maybe harder for them to grip.

I have a question, regarding the roost bar, i put a 8 foot round wood curtain rod about 2" of diameter , they are 6 week old and just 2 week in their new coop, they sleep well there, did you think I should change to a 2 x 4 bar? did you think they are suffering in that round polo?

This has been debated a lot on here and some people are really passionate about their beliefs. Of course they have different beliefs or there wouldn't be any debate. Some will give you reasons why it is best to use round roosts. Others will give you reasons why flat roosts are best. Some talk about the health of the chicken's feet. Others talk about the chicken's comfort.

I'm in a third camp. Several years ago I did an experiment. I switched tree limbs, a 2x4 flat, and a 2x4 on edge around to see what they prefer. Another forum member recently did a much more detailed experiment with a lot of different material, shapes, and sizes but I can't find the link to that thread. He did find a few things that made a difference. But his general conclusion was pretty much the same as mine. Unless you go to extremes people care about this a lot more than the chickens do. Location in the coop (with mine the preferred location is near a window) is more important than the type of roost. Your 2" diameter wooden rod is larger than the 1-1/2" width of a 2x4, it is plenty big enough.

Marina, believe whomever you wish. I think they'll be fine on your round pole, or you can use a 2x4 flat or on edge. If you decide to switch to a 2x4 or other sawn board, I suggest sanding off the corners. That's not for their comfort as they grip it but more to remove splinters.

I have eight, nine-week-old pullets. They used to sleep in a dog-pile on the floor of their coop (night time temps range from 26-35F). Three days ago I saw all but one dog-piled into a nesting box at bed time. I assumed they were trying to stay warm. The one loner I think has bad vision and is a scaredy cat, so she is usually left out. Also the box only fits seven of them.

The nesting boxes are in line with the the highest roosting bar, so I now know I need to address that issue and lower the nesting boxes or raise the roosting bars. The total roosting bar space is 8 feet of 2x4s with wide side up. Currently all chicks could fit on one bar. With room to spare.

Will they grow out of this or do I have to intervene? I don’t want them to be cold so I haven’t bothered moving them. One of my chicks is a “failure to thrive” and still has her chick down and some scraggly teenage feathers. She relies on the bigger girls to cuddle her.
I do not move my pullets to the big house until they are , at least 12 weeks, plus I have had more trouble with them using the nest boxes if they were raised by a broody hen, hense a nest box. They got used to keeping warm in the nest box under momma. I block off the nest boxes after dark and move any stuborn ones to the roost. I just use an old lenth of hardware cloth to block off the nests, but make sure you get up early to unblock it, when I do not get there I end up with an egg or two on the floor. I know that sounds like alot of trouble, but you usually do not have to do it for more then a few days. If I raise chicks in a large bin and then move them to a pen in the garage, they never get used to a nest box, so not as much adjustment. Hope this helps

This has been debated a lot on here and some people are really passionate about their beliefs. Of course they have different beliefs or there wouldn't be any debate. Some will give you reasons why it is best to use round roosts. Others will give you reasons why flat roosts are best. Some talk about the health of the chicken's feet. Others talk about the chicken's comfort.

I'm in a third camp. Several years ago I did an experiment. I switched tree limbs, a 2x4 flat, and a 2x4 on edge around to see what they prefer. Another forum member recently did a much more detailed experiment with a lot of different material, shapes, and sizes but I can't find the link to that thread. He did find a few things that made a difference. But his general conclusion was pretty much the same as mine. Unless you go to extremes people care about this a lot more than the chickens do. Location in the coop (with mine the preferred location is near a window) is more important than the type of roost. Your 2" diameter wooden rod is larger than the 1-1/2" width of a 2x4, it is plenty big enough.

Marina, believe whomever you wish. I think they'll be fine on your round pole, or you can use a 2x4 flat or on edge. If you decide to switch to a 2x4 or other sawn board, I suggest sanding off the corners. That's not for their comfort as they grip it but more to remove splinters.

Totally agree!

I have had the same problem, my 9 week old chicks love piling on one another in one box! Mind you we have 7 boxes and roosting bars. So I will lower the bars and block the nesting boxes. Give it a try! Thanks also

So I will lower the bars and block the nesting boxes.
I can understand blocking the nests but why are you lowering the roosts? You do know the roosts are supposed to be higher than the nests? How is your coop set up with nests and roosts?

My brooder raised chicks often don't start sleeping on the roosts at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. It is possible yours aren't ready to roost yet.

I can understand blocking the nests but why are you lowering the roosts? You do know the roosts are supposed to be higher than the nests? How is your coop set up with nests and roosts?

My brooder raised chicks often don't start sleeping on the roosts at night until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. It is possible yours aren't ready to roost yet.

C0820E0F-F342-4221-B3A3-9994A3FF4D31.jpeg

Attachments

• 03CBE6C5-F70E-4303-88D3-EA6742C3EA33.jpeg
    03CBE6C5-F70E-4303-88D3-EA6742C3EA33.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CFEEE14C-BCBE-4085-9CEF-55096BCCC286.jpeg
    CFEEE14C-BCBE-4085-9CEF-55096BCCC286.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom