Pullets suddenly sleeping in nesting box

Maybe it's too dark and she don't want to try the hop up, I dunno.
Both times they’ve done it, the nesting chicken has gone in the box while it’s still light out, before the others come into the coop for the night... So it’s the opposite.

I have two cameras in the coop - one looking at the roost, and the other looking at the nesting box. And an automatic door. So I don’t go out to lock them up for the night, but I do check both cameras around their bedtime, to make sure everybody is in and accounted for. And if I see one in the box, I take her out so she wouldn’t poop in there all night.

I don't know what your daylight hours look like now or when you gather eggs in the afternoon/evening but I could see tossing them out of the nests when you lock them up for the night from predators.
Right now the chickens go up on the roost for the night around 4:30. I don’t go out to lock them up because they have an automatic door, but I do check my coop cameras to make sure the door is closed and everybody is where they should be. That’s how I caught the two who were in the box. Freaked me out at first, because I only counted 4 out of 5 on the roost and my mind went to the worst possible scenario, but when I checked the second camera, I saw the lazy butt in the nest. I guess that will be my new evening routine - check both cams. At least I don’t have to go out in the freezing cold!

Hmm... I have two other roosts though, at lower heights... If it was a height issue, wouldn't they just sleep on a lower roost?

I'm starting to think that this is it. They're just lazy :lol:

Aww thanks! Here's a better shot of them (and their very easy to get up to roosts):
View attachment 2485690
Oh - I LOOOOOVEEEEE the pics on the wall!

Yes, they would just use the lower roosts. I guess they are just lazy or want to try something different! LOL! Silly biddies...

Back
Top Bottom