Pullets that hatched together are fighting

brentmeist

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 22, 2014
I have a bunch of chicks that all hatched together a couple of months ago. All of the sudden I have noticed them aggressively fighting one another with one in particular taking the brunt of it all and bleeding pretty badly. Is this normal? Is this them establishing their own pecking order. I'm a bit surprised since they are all the same breed (Buff Orphington) and hatched together. Also surprised how aggressive they are. Never noticed this before in my previous chickens.

Are you sure they are pullets? Have they laid yet? If not, it's possible you have 2 roosters.

If indeed that turns out to be the case, then its not so surprising. I had two cockerels that were 3.5 months old (brothers) that went at it hammer and tong one day which resulted in the death of one of them. A little surprising, but them's chickens for you!

CT

I have a bunch of chicks that all hatched together a couple of months ago. All of the sudden I have noticed them aggressively fighting one another with one in particular taking the brunt of it all and bleeding pretty badly. Is this normal? Is this them establishing their own pecking order. I'm a bit surprised since they are all the same breed (Buff Orphington) and hatched together. Also surprised how aggressive they are. Never noticed this before in my previous chickens.

You have heard about a chicken phenomena called the pecking order (or in some circles better known as the pecking DIS-ORDER) have you not? Well all chickens to one degree or the other are afflicted with the pecking order disorder. It sounds like good old fashion poultry pugilism to me. The only tried and true cure for this is to wring the necks of all those who comedown with the pecking order disorder. Relax and enjoy your pullets.

How many birds and how much space do they have? How's your weather? Are they excessively confined due to bad weather?

9 hens 1 rooster and 9 young birds. I have been keeping them in the run due to weather and an rise in raccoon activity. As soon as the little ones get a little bigger I will let them free range again. Seems seemed a little better today.

Back
Top Bottom