1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullets w/bleeding bottom.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rip_riley, Mar 5, 2012.

1. rip_riley

rip_riley New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    We have 2-3 week old pullets and my son just came up to me to tell me that most of them have bleeding bottoms, I look a the food and one of them has put layer pellets in their bin rather than the medicated crumbles. I have no idea how long but if I had to guess my daughter cleaned their bedding/water last night. I am assuming this is the culprit, is there any hope for these girls to recover? Thanks so much for your help!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Switch them back to the correct feed and keep an eye on it. It could be cocci, which would require treatment with Sulmet or Corrid.

3. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Are their bottoms bloody like they have been pecked? Or, is it coming OUT of their bottoms with the excrement? The wrong feed can sometimes make chicks (or grown birds) peck each other. (Usually their vents where the flesh is more exposed.)

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I suspect that this is not the food that is the cause? Food alone would not just cause a bleeding anything. Is there worms in the stool? Are there other reasons for the blood at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by