Pullets

tulippond13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Damascus
So I've been looking around, and I can't really tell the difference between chicks and pullets. Is it just that I didn't look hard enough or is there no distinct difference? Thanks in advance cause I'm kind of new to this. :)

flo12345

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Not sure if this is right but I always thought chicks were little fluffy babies and a pullet was when they aren't quite a year old but are fully feathered and kind of at that awkward stage...

jerryse

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Sparland IL
Not sure if this is right but I always thought chicks were little fluffy babies and a pullet was when they aren't quite a year old but are fully feathered and kind of at that awkward stage...
Hatcheries sell sexed day old pullets. These show up at your local farm and feed stores. Yes a pullet is a female under 1 year of age. So yes you can buy day old pullets. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

SLOchicks

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
San Luis Obispo, CA
This avatar pic was taken a few days ago, I'm a new chick mom and wonder if there is a way to definitely know that these are pullets.
Thanks for the info
I'm having a blast with these girls! They were 4 weeks old yesterday.

Katie

jerryse

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Sparland IL
This avatar pic was taken a few days ago, I'm a new chick mom and wonder if there is a way to definitely know that these are pullets.
Thanks for the info
I'm having a blast with these girls! They were 4 weeks old yesterday.

Katie
If they are sex links the color is the clue. No mistakes for the hatchery on those. Others are sexed by wing feathers. They maintain 2 separate lines to make that work. All others are vent sexed. Some mistakes with that method but 90% + accurate. You must be trained to vent sex. I tried to learn it from books but all baby chick butts look alike to me.

Top Bottom