Pullett avoiding roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magikchick, Mar 8, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have this big goofy cochin pullet, she's about 5 months old. Well she disapeared and I thought that something had gotten her. Yesterday I was looking under the coop and lo and behold there she was. I guess she was trying to avoid the roos who have been after her non stop. She was a bit on the thin side and very thirsty.

I put in with the 12 week old cochins and she seems to be fine now. I guess I need to pair her up with one of the roos?

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    poor little girl.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have too many roos for the number of hens?
    I'd leave her with the 12 week olds until she gets a little more mature. Then if you have a good roo to hen ratio she should be fine. My girls have learned to come into the fenced yard when they want a break from my roo. He's too big to squeeze thru the opening that the girls can. I only have one roo to 14 hens, so the girls aren't getting worn out.

4. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    My rule is usually no more than 1 roo per 5 hens. And no more than 10 hens per 1 roo. Normally my ratio is 1/5.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

They may also be starving her out so it's best to put her with the 12 week olds for awhile. Extra feeders and waterers will also help. I would not place her with 1 rooster either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by