Pulling out feathers

Janine26

Chirping
Apr 21, 2015
Grass Lake MI
I have 12 chickens total in my flock. They are 24 weeks old. My Golden Laced Wyandottes have been pulling feathers out underneath the wings on their thighs. The other ones go after the bare skin and peck until they bleed!! Its awful They have large wounds from the others pecking at them. I have treated the coop with DE, and the wounds with BlueKote. What causes this? Both of the chickens have wounds in the exact same place on both sides. They are eating and drinking fine and still laying. Is there anything I can do??? I'm at a loss and don't know what else to do. Any advice would be extremely appreciated!!

Do you have a large rooster with them? Is it possible that the injuries have been caused by a rooster? Tears in the backs/sides just in front of the legs are frequently caused by clumsy roosters breeding the hens, slipping and tearing their sides. Once injured the other birds frequently peck at the wounds.

Do an on site search on pinless peepers. They work well at stopping such problems and can sometimes be removed once the injured birds have recovered. Do your birds have enough space?

Google them. Pictures may help you understand.

They prevent the chicken that is wearing them from being able to zero in on feathers or wounds to peck them. But, they can still see to eat, drink and walk. I have used them on bully hens. It restores order in the hen house in short order. Some people take them off after a week or so. Once I put them on a hen they stay there.

Back
Top Bottom