pumpkin for deworming?

Quote:
I read that too, and it also included shredded carrot, but I'm not sure what the carrot benefit is. I got some large pumpkins for $.50 each.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I am somewhat new too, but worms can be a potential problem. I know if your chickens get them they can really reek havoc on them and even death if they are seriously infested. We have had chickens since last May and I thought my chickens were getting skinny. At first I assumed worms and was given a lot of suggestions on how to deworm them: from Wazine to pumpkin seeds and buttermilk. I now realize it was their food and not worms. So it is something to be aware of and keep an eye out for...some people deworm theirs regularly, just to make sure.

This is my third flock of chickens in my lifetime and I've never had a worm problem with any of them. My first flock roamed over a 50-acre cow pasture and I feel would have been the most likely to pick up parasitic worms, but they helped themselves to the wormwart growing in my driveway so maybe that helped. I keep on the lookout for any sign of an infestation and do sprinkle food-grade DE over their food in the springtime. My current flock and the one before them are penned up in a 15x70' run. I wish I could let them free range, but I've got orders from my landlord to keep them confined and a trigger-happy next door neighbor.
rant.gif
somad.gif
He's already killed one of my Spangled Russian Orloff pullets. Unfortunately, he is nearly 70 years old and according to Oregon law that makes the management company unable to evict him, or so they tell me. Otherwise, he'd be outta here
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom